Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, this will be my 2nd week or intermediate trade school,

have advice you canadian/ ontario guys have to pass on would be great, im already pretty overwhelmed, i did great in basic and i thought i had a pretty good grasp on theory and that stuff, but this is turning out to be extremely difficult, i spend about 2+ hours a night so far doing homework and reading, and this weekend spent 3 hours reading ahead, I just cant seem to retain/ understand the information in these texts

·
Registered
194 Posts
You're ahead of me but I heard level 2 is very tough. Where are you getting stuck, on electrical theory or code or both? In pre-trade I took lots of notes directly from text (Foundations of Electronics: Circuits & Devices) I found the book very slow, sometimes it would take me 20-25 minutes to grasp 80% of a single page and taking notes slowed me down that much more, but without note taking it was harder to grasp the info. Try to rewrite things in your own words, network with classmates and ask teacher questions too.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I spent my nights doing assignments and then reviewing daily lessons. It seemed to work as I finished intermediate with an overall average of 98%.

What subjects are you having difficulty with?

·
PPE Saves Fingers
291 Posts
Rarely did any homework at home, I made use of breaks & lunch time to do any worksheets.

My own recommendation is to not read ahead, particularly with theory. A lot of it is set up for a lot of baby steps that make sense when they all come together.

Anything in particular that is a problem?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just retaining information, im not the fastest learner and some stuff is moving a tad fast for me. but you do have a point about not reading ahead, it will only get me more confused.
theory and motors are giving me a go

·
PPE Saves Fingers
291 Posts
Theory gives everyone a good shake up when you transition from the simple DC stuff to the AC with it's impedance, inductance, reactive power and apparent power.

Comes down to it's all triangles. Pythagoras and SOH CAH TOA will get added to your arsenal of formulas.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/ might help make some sense of things.

Motors... that's probably DC right? Sorry, that class was in one ear, hang around until after the exam and out the other. Even the instructor was fairly relaxed about the content of the course.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just finished 1st period:

I got to school 2 hours early EVERYDAY. 1st hour was any little assignments that needed finishing. 2nd hour was just reading code.

4 hours of class

then at lunch I either again reviewed, did my assignments or read code. Sometimes I just relaxed.

After school from 3pm until 6pm I stayed at school and read one class ahead, did assignments, read code etc. Went home, ate supper and then again for at least 2 hours did theory.

weekends I went to school and stayed in the study room at least 4 hrs. Both saturday and sunday

I came out with 88%.

My point is....2 hours is not enough. I had 6 hours of class and always doubled that in studying.

You need to get busy

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor, Master/FSR Electrician
643 Posts
the-apprentice said:
hey guys, this will be my 2nd week or intermediate trade school,

have advice you canadian/ ontario guys have to pass on would be great, im already pretty overwhelmed, i did great in basic and i thought i had a pretty good grasp on theory and that stuff, but this is turning out to be extremely difficult, i spend about 2+ hours a night so far doing homework and reading, and this weekend spent 3 hours reading ahead, I just cant seem to retain/ understand the information in these texts
Like everyone's noted here already, spend as much time as you can with your nose in the books. If the time you're spending thus far isn't helping, ask for some help. The AC stuff you learn right now, gets a new dimension with three-phase later. Keep at it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
YYCApprentice said:
I just finished 1st period:

I got to school 2 hours early EVERYDAY. 1st hour was any little assignments that needed finishing. 2nd hour was just reading code.

4 hours of class

then at lunch I either again reviewed, did my assignments or read code. Sometimes I just relaxed.

After school from 3pm until 6pm I stayed at school and read one class ahead, did assignments, read code etc. Went home, ate supper and then again for at least 2 hours did theory.

weekends I went to school and stayed in the study room at least 4 hrs. Both saturday and sunday

I came out with 88%.

My point is....2 hours is not enough. I had 6 hours of class and always doubled that in studying.

You need to get busy
All that and only an 88? Man, 2nd level was a breeze, we had more than enough time to finish any work that needed to be down for the next day. 3rd level it gets tougher, than wash again for 4th

·
507 Posts
Allaboutcircuits.com is very very helpful. Used it when I challenged my 2nd level without schooling. Some of it won't matter to you as it was written by an engineer but all the subjects are divided fairly well
Got an 81% on the challenge and just finished 3rd year with a 90% without much studying. Some stuff is definitely hard to wrap your head around at times

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.