Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting here trying to gather my paperwork to do my taxes, and got to day dreaming. If you had the chance to do it all over again, what would you do?

Take the path of higher education and become an electrical engineer, or go to trade school and become an electrician.

I am sure everyone at this site, if resources were available, could have taken either path, and some may have taken both. :thumbsup:

What would you do?

Borgi

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Interesting you say that Borgi. I am in the middle of trying to decide which path to continue. Right now I am a licensed electrician and have a B.Tech....but not an engineering degree.

I am trying to decide if I should go for the engineering degree...could take me as little as 2 years.

If I had to do it again, I would have done an Engineering Degree right after I did the Tech Degree.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just from seeing what the engineers at my job have to go through, I'd take electrician any day of the week. Too much paperwork involved with engineering for my liking

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Out of high school, I would have a BS degree instead of an AA. I don't know if my career would have changed. I also went to trade school and enjoyed it, but Engineering I don't think I could have completed all of the math required for it.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Out of high school, I would have a BS degree instead of an AA. I don't know if my career would have changed. I also went to trade school and enjoyed it, but Engineering I don't think I could have completed all of the math required for it.
I'm in the same boat, but I say just get a math tutor.
:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny you mention math. When I was in college, a classmate was an electrical engineering drop out, because he struggled with the math. In college however, he was the " go to " guy in our calculus class. :laughing:

Borgi

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you had the chance to do it all over again, what would you do? Take the path of higher education and become an electrical engineer, or go to trade school and become an electrician.

Borgi
I wouldn't change a thing. I couldn't afford college out of high school so I got a factory job and several years later I got accepted into the industrial electrician apprenticeship program. That was truly the best thing to ever happen in my career. :thumbsup:

After I completed the apprenticeship, obtained my journeyman's license, and then my masters, I decided to go back to school because tuition was fully covered by my employer and I didn't want to find myself one day old with health problems wishing I had taken advantage of earning a free academic education.

I’ve been plugging away at the bachelor’s degree one class per semester for the better part of nine years now and have five more classes until graduation. A couple years ago I came to the conclusion that the degree would be more valuable if I had actual work experience, and about a year ago I transferred into our engineering department.

There are some days I really miss the day-to-day hands-on work, and spending a large part of my time tied to a desk has been a huge adjustment. However, I feel that by going down the path I’ve chosen I’ve given myself plenty of options for the future; although I really rather just win the lotto and retire. :icon_cheesygrin:

·
Coffee drinking member
13,407 Posts
I would still be doing what I am currently doing as I enjoy it.
I had the chance to go to law school and follow in my fathers footsteps as he offered to pay my way a few years ago.
I just couldn't see myself being a desk jockie and giving up a summer time, rooftop lunch.
Remember, some people pay big $$$ to live in a penthouse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts