Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First trailer I ever did any work on. The lady wants two flood lights on each end of the home and 3 outdoor outlets.

I peaked underneath this thing and it looks like some sort of black mesh barrier? If I cut into that will I be able to fish up the walls?

Also I found an abandoned range circuit underneath I'll use that as the dedicated outdoor circuit for the outlets and lights. Hack? or? The wire is disconnected in the panel and capped off with wirenuts hanging underneath. Saves me crawling about 30 feet trying to fish a new homerun from the panel.

Also am I required to have the flood lights on a switch? I'm going to put a photocell on one because they aren't dawn to dusk floods.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
In a trailer you need to do whatever you can to get what you need to get done. I run romex in carflex normally.(i know, I know). I would cut the mesh but not plan on fishing any wall. Thy are normally 2X2 wall.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
how old is it? does it have al wire? above that mesh there is probly a wood product of some kind. on most i have dealt with the outside wall sits a steel beam. as far as using old cicuit, maybe hack but fine if wire is up to code, you use an acceptable junction box in an accessible place.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
In a trailer you need to do whatever you can to get what you need to get done. I run romex in carflex normally.(i know, I know). I would cut the mesh but not plan on fishing any wall. Thy are normally 2X2 wall.
a lot of 'newer' mobiles have 2x4 walls, dont know when they started doing that

·
Registered
202 Posts
papaotis said:
how old is it? does it have al wire? above that mesh there is probly a wood product of some kind. on most i have dealt with the outside wall sits a steel beam. as far as using old cicuit, maybe hack but fine if wire is up to code, you use an acceptable junction box in an accessible place.
Good information. Want more... Any Internet site dedicated to this subject( recreational vehicles etc..)

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it's not possible to fish up the walls from underneath on these things?:eek:

Its a 1983 model no aluminum all copper branch circuits.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
:thumbsup:

I HATE WORKING ON TRAILERS!!! You gotta do what you gotta do, this is no mans land, get the job done and never look back. I cant tell you how many trailers ive been troubleshooting and the circuitry is absolutely ridiculous.

Technically, by code, everything under a trailer needs to be in PVC or carflex and UF. Forget fishing walls, ive had luck taking the paneling off to get new circuits in the panel and then putting it back together. Good luck, I HATE trailers.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
So it's not possible to fish up the walls from underneath on these things?:eek:

Its a 1983 model no aluminum all copper branch circuits.
i believe they started using 2x4 walls some where around that time. you could get lucky! and also, some maybe alot, where constructed as a cantilever on the wider ones. that might put the outer wall outside the steel frame. good luck:thumbup:

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts

I HATE WORKING ON TRAILERS!!! You gotta do what you gotta do, this is no mans land, get the job done and never look back. I cant tell you how many trailers ive been troubleshooting and the circuitry is absolutely ridiculous.

Technically, by code, everything under a trailer needs to be in PVC or carflex and UF. Forget fishing walls, ive had luck taking the paneling off to get new circuits in the panel and then putting it back together. Good luck, I HATE trailers.
i hate them too! and most newer ones ( dont know what year) also have sheetrock!!

·
Registered
365 Posts

Could not agree more. As jacked up as it may sound if that range wire was 4 wire I would set a 6 circ. panel under the house. I would come out of it for the receptacles and lights. You may have to fish UF under the siding to set boxes. If it has vinyl siding you can get a siding removal tool at Slowes or Home Despot. Worth every dime.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Supposedly the lady told me they gutted the whole thing and it's all new. The skirting is 2x4 I don't think that matters though.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found this :thumbsup: Should help me out. The main beams of the frame don't go out to the edge they are set back a foot or so.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
All the ones I have dealt with are 2x4 framing and you can drill a hole through the edge of the home into the wall cavity. Use conduit underneath because anything underneath is not safe from mice. Use junction boxes to switch from thwn in conduit to nm. If you are good at fishing wires it won't be that bad.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
tried to quote on your diagram, but wouldt work. anyway thats what i was sayin in post 9, but the 2x4 skirting could make it more difficult:whistling2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts