Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
More than lead and elbows
579 Posts
Management should know what employees are good at, and what they aren't so good at. I'd like to think I'm a pretty good electrical craftsmen, but there are some things that I've never experienced. It would be foolish to send a guy like me out to do residential service calls when I have limited experience doing that particular work. On the other hand, I would be great at doing a large telecomm job, or high voltage cable install. If they are good at a particular type of work, and they like doing it, you can give them more training in that field and eventually you'll have guys that are considered experts. Guys that other companies envy. Guys that know their sch!t and are proud of what they can do.

Train them well enough to leave, treat them well enough that they won't.

·
579 Posts
I learned most of what I know with OJT, self education (reading before online existed), talking and listening and a few seminars. And a whole lot of thinking about the subject.

If you want to learn you can, some guys are content being average others want more. How many electricians are there in the USA, how many bother to come to sites like this to ask questions and learn?
I try to read a new book on something trade related every 2-3 months. It doesn't always happen (wife, kids, work, etc.) but I try. Also this site, and other online pages have so much info and experience. It's endless!

·
579 Posts
What, in regards to electricity would you want to know???:thumbsup:
Haha! I've got so much to learn! I got in the trade in 07 so I don't even have ten years in yet! Some of you guys on here blow me away with how much you know. Just the sheer amount of time you're eyeballs have put in has me bewildered! Right now I'm really looking at underground transmission cable, Also advanced motor controls theory is always on my list, I never got to see much of it other than in the apprenticeship.

·
579 Posts
Like you said Shunk, good electricians are already working. Probably making good money, at a good place to work. When I was unhappy, it wasn't hard to move on. I'm still getting offers from contractors and utilities, but right now I really enjoy where I'm at. If that changes, I'll move on just as easily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.