Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this a few years ago: is this little guy worth it if all you want is a 6-7KVA portable generator?

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
The only benefit to that kit is that it's universal, you can connect it to just about any panel out there. This way you can stock up on them and have them ready for when a storm comes.

The negatives are that it takes longer to install, costs more money, and gives the customer only 6 circuits.

For about $120 more you can get the 10 circuit transfer switch, which is a little bit better, but still not good.

I connect a lot of 5,500-6,500w generators to houses using interlock kits instead of transfer panels. It gives the customer so much more value for their money. I've never had a customer complain about an interlock, only lot's of positive comments. On the flip side, I have had many complaints about the transfer panels I have installed, there are always problems with not enough circuits being on.

BTW< if you are dead set on using that panel, Home Depot carries it for $293 and Amazon has it for $245. The 10 circuit model is $376 at Amazon.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Interlock kit.com the turn around time one there orders is very quick. 2-3 days to my door.
Even better is I have a local store here in northern NJ that sells all the Interlockkit.com interlocks off the shelf, so I could install them same day :thumbup:

Normally I check the panel manufacturer first to see if they make and interlock since that's the cheapest and it's UL listed. If the manufacturer doesn't make one, then you can't get it inspected since the 3rd party interlocks aren't UL listed.

Second I will check http://geninterlock.com/ since they are priced pretty cheap.
Then http://www.natramelec.com/ since they are cheap as well, but they don't look as nice since they are plexiglass.
Finally I'll go to www.interlockkit.com which are very nice interlocks but very expensive compared to the rest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I read on interlock kit.com about ul testing. I looked quick and took it as uL listed. Now that I read it again it like they aren't. They just added that in to throw people like me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts