Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sure. Use one of the whole house units with a service rated disconnect.

Don't forget to rework your neutral/ground bonding (bonding done at the disconnect and separated in all downstream equipment).

Also the generator has to be sized to carry ALL of the switched load or use a method of load shedding.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
here is what I have. Meter feeds non service rated transfer switch then from the transfer switch it feeds the service disconnect switch not part of the transfer switch.
Sounds like you did it wrong ! You need service rated ATS.

·
Can't Remember
10,139 Posts
I have one of those I need to either add a service rated breaker enclosure outside, or change the transfer switch to a service rated one inside and then seperate the neutrals and grounds in the panel.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you did it wrong ! You need service rated ATS.
I did not install this it was on a generator I have a maintenance contract. I was going to check to see if the transfer worked so I turned off service disconnect when nothing happened I opened up the disconnect to find it was after the transfer switch.
Trying to find a code reference that either allows it or does not. I have two stations that are like this and want to be on solid NEC footing before I submit an estimate.

·
Registered
407 Posts
So your looking for a code reference that indicates that a service disconnect needs to be rated for the application?

·
Can't Remember
10,139 Posts
He needs a reference that he needs a service rated disconnect in this situation. Others have already explained this to my customer, just need to fit it into our schedule. His probably don't know why it was done wrong. Lots of dingbats installing them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts