Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does transferswitch work? I know like if there are two sources of power and if they are interlock. When one power goes out it switches it to another but in between time doesn't the power goes out for like a short period of time?

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
How does what kind of Tswitch work Ninja...? a 3w switch could be a Tswitch....~CS~

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Yes, you loose power for a short time. Do you have a different application in mind where you need to switch something without loosing power?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can't predict for outages, if you could than a transfer switch would be completely different. If you lose utility, there is usually time delays for starting the engine, transferring to the alternate source etc. there is time the load will not be served, but is mostly dependent on how long it takes your alternate source to be accepted.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
How does transferswitch work? I know like if there are two sources of power and if they are interlock. When one power goes out it switches it to another but in between time doesn't the power goes out for like a short period of time?
Thus the need for a good UPS to allow for the lag between utility power and generator power, both when utility power fails and again when it is restored.

·
zap
1,327 Posts
Ninjazx916r said:
That would depend on the transfer switch. Some are break the make, some make then break. The later requires a sink control and is rarely seen unless its a self contained site. Most common switches you will see will be break then make, the utility's really don't like the second type.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Need to know what the real question is. Are you talking about the short time during the transition of an open transition switch? Or are you talking about when the power goes out and you are waiting for the generator to start. I am a service rep for ASCO, and can tell you more if you want to know. I can go pretty in depth talking about different types of switches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts