Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am currently a helper electrician in Maine. I have completed a vocational 2-year program in the trade and have my minimum 576-hours course work for a journeyman license. I will be taking a 1-year community college program in electrical soon.

The community college program, although being one year, counts for 4,000 work hours towards my journeyman license, so I would get a journeyman-in-training (JIT), work 4,000 more hours, than have my full journeyman license.

My question is, suppose I completed the one year community college program, got my JIT, and move to another state, like New York. Would they accept my 4,000 work hours I got from the community college program towards my master license?

And if I got a full journeyman or master license in Maine, could those be transferred to New York as well. Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You actually have to have 2000 hours, on the job training, after college to be a JIT, I just did it.

New York is also not in the transferable license area, only new hampshire, vermont and oregon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You actually have to have 2000 hours, on the job training, after college to be a JIT, I just did it.

New York is also not in the transferable license area, only new hampshire, vermont and oregon.
What if I moved to New York, worked for a while, and moved back to Maine. Could my work hours in NY transfer back to Maine toward journeyman hours?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmmm I am not sure to be honest. You can always contact the board of electricians on that one. Dora is the head you can find her email on the state of Maine electrical licensing site. They usually reply fast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm I am not sure to be honest. You can always contact the board of electricians on that one. Dora is the head you can find her email on the state of Maine electrical licensing site. They usually reply fast.
Could you give me the link to it? Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
You don't have to have a license to work for an electrical contractor in New York only the contractor has to be a master electrician

1 - 8 of 8 Posts