Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if there is a single phase additive polarity XFMR which is wired as subtractive as per the attached drawing. I have asked an engineer and was told not to rewire the secondaries and leave it as is due to all the load being resistive. I was thinking it might short when it is energized, he disagreed. I redlined the drawing how it should be re-wired to have additive polarity so it matches the transformer and was told to leave it as is and energize. The drawing shows my mark ups, if the drawing had no mark ups do you think it would short?

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,987 Posts
kiruxa said:
What does this have to do with the question I asked? Also, im neither one of those. Thanks
I don't know, just seemed like your making a statement and tossing a question out like some of the students do here.
You didn't even say hello and post a welcome. The trade students do that all the time.

Since your new, welcome to ET

·
Coffee drinking member
13,987 Posts
kiruxa said:
What does this have to do with the question I asked? Also, im neither one of those. Thanks
Oh ya, the picture you took is hard to read. Take and post a screen shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know, just seemed like your making a statement and tossing a question out like some of the students do here.
You didn't even say hello and post a welcome. The trade students do that all the time.

Since your new, welcome to ET
Oh my apologies. No im not a student. I have been in a field for a few years now.
This problem kind of startled me since I thought it would be obvious to re-wire it and engineer disagreed with me. As the result, I found these forums to maybe seek an opinion on this simple yet confusing to me issue I guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would you think it would short out? Looks like you've just drawn a line to have the grounded leg on the other terminal.
That's correct, according to my mark up it would be perfectly match additive polarity of the transformer but the engineer asked me to delete my as-built and leave the drawing as is and energize without my mark ups or re-wiring

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
That's correct, according to my mark up it would be perfectly match additive polarity of the transformer but the engineer asked me to delete my as-built and leave the drawing as is and energize without my mark ups or re-wiring
Which leg you ground will have no bearing on polarity

·
Coffee drinking member
13,987 Posts
kiruxa said:
I agree with BKMichael65.
Also around here the engineer always wins with his drawings.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
So let the engineer have his/her moment in the sun... and also invite them to close the switch.

Pete

Reactions: Wirenuting

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OH thank you!!! haha
That's better, so if I left the drawing as is, without my mark ups and no re-wire, would the transformer short to ground upon energization?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
OH thank you!!! haha
That's better, so if I left the drawing as is, without my mark ups and no re-wire, would the transformer short to ground upon energization?
Nothing from that drawing shows a reason for anything to short. You can always booby trap it to mess with the engineer though

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I am curious why you think grounding x2-x4 is any different than grounding x1-x3? If both are bonded then yes there is a short. If one, then no, you just have a grounding reference for the secondary voltage. It's AC voltage, the AC doesn't care.

I'm also curious why you think you know more than the engineer when you say you've been in the field a few years

1 - 20 of 25 Posts