Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say that I'm asking this question as I really have no other options. I'm building an off-grid cabin in the woods and there is simply no electrician to hire.

So with that said, the cabin (more like a small house) will have a mini-split for AC and heating. Due to the size (16X24) I require an 18K BTU unit to adequately heat and cool. Of course all mini-split over 12K BTU are 240V (I bet you can see where this is going). Since all my current power options are 120V I want to use a transformer to run the mini-split. Here is where my knowledge lacks.

As I understand a mini-split requires "split phase" 240V with 2 hots (L1 and L2). However many of the consumer grade transformers on the market output straight 240V like in Europe (I think). Would a mini-split run on this straight 240V that is a hot and neutral? Or would I need to rewire the transformer in a different config (as I understand it, as an autotranformer).

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
First let me say that I'm asking this question as I really have no other options. I'm building an off-grid cabin in the woods and there is simply no electrician to hire.

So with that said, the cabin (more like a small house) will have a mini-split for AC and heating. Due to the size (16X24) I require an 18K BTU unit to adequately heat and cool. Of course all mini-split over 12K BTU are 240V (I bet you can see where this is going). Since all my current power options are 120V I want to use a transformer to run the mini-split. Here is where my knowledge lacks.

As I understand a mini-split requires "split phase" 240V with 2 hots (L1 and L2). However many of the consumer grade transformers on the market output straight 240V like in Europe (I think). Would a mini-split run on this straight 240V that is a hot and neutral? Or would I need to rewire the transformer in a different config (as I understand it, as an autotranformer).
Yes it will run, but if it is a 10 amp load at 240v, Than the transformer will require and you will see a 20 amp load at 120 V so make sure you’re calculating your load properly.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
3,478 Posts
At 384 square feet, 1.5 tons of cooling is massively large, unless you have no insulation or are in a equatorial jungle. Around here, the quick and dirty calc is 2.5 BTU’s per cubic feet. At 3072 cubic feet (at 8 foot ceiling) here it would call for 7680, or 8000 BTU for cooling. And about twice that for heating.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
8,941 Posts
I can't really help you out here, that 220 stuff is above my pay grade,

But just wanted to say hi to a fellow DIYer !
Good luck with your project

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it will run, but if it is a 10 amp load at 240v, Than the transformer will require and you will see a 20 amp load at 120 V so make sure you’re calculating your load properly.
Yup, I understand that. Its a MAX of 1700W in heating mode, so the 120V side should see no more than about 15A. A 3KVA unit should suffice (with double overhead). Thanks for the answer. I thought it would, but I really wanted to confirm it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At 384 square feet, 1.5 tons of cooling is massively large, unless you have no insulation or are in a equatorial jungle. Around here, the quick and dirty calc is 2.5 BTU’s per cubic feet. At 3072 cubic feet (at 8 foot ceiling) here it would call for 7680, or 8000 BTU for cooling. And about twice that for heating.
We have 22ft ceilings as its a lofted building. AC manufacturer sized things for me. They said I "might" be good with 12K, but on really hot days it would be marginal at best. On top of that, the 18K unit will heat in temps down to -30C where the 12K was only good to -15C.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I can't really help you out here, that 220 stuff is above my pay grade,

But just wanted to say hi to a fellow DIYer !
Good luck with your project
Thanks fella.. Its been a fun project but way more work that I ever thought. Who knew trucking an entire house worth of stuff into the bush would be a lot of work!

·
Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
909 Posts
Would installing two units, both 120 volt, be impractical?

Perhaps one 12kW and the other make up the difference 6kW.

Use the 6kW as a supplimental if the 12 kW can't keep up.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Would installing two units, both 120 volt, be impractical?

Perhaps one 12kW and the other make up the difference 6kW.

Use the 6kW as a supplimental if the 12 kW can't keep up.
Well if what traveler W above says is true, I’d go with the 240 W unit, especially if he’s “roughing it.” What brand if I may ask?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,520 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area. If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs. Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/ We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.