Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering.

If I was to feed a 120/208v grid dependent solar inverter from a transformer fed from a 600v system, how would that turn out?

The transformer would have a 600 volt primary and step down to 120/208 volt secondary. It would step the voltage down to feed the inverter but the inverter would in turn feed back into the system, through the same transformer. So 120/208 volt would come back on the SECONDARY. What would the output be on the PRIMARY?

Thanks.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
When you start talking about transformers used in generation, primary and secondary do swap around just like you describe, so it ends up being less confusing to talk about them in terms of high and low.

Even though you've changed the direction of power flow, the ratios stay the same because they're fixed by the construction of the windings, so your high-side would be the same 600V, and doesn't change function.

I've fed solar inverters back onto the grid through a 240Y:480Δ transformers in this same way.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you start talking about transformers used in generation, primary and secondary do swap around just like you describe, so it ends up being less confusing to talk about them in terms of high and low.

Even though you've changed the direction of power flow, the ratios stay the same because they're fixed by the construction of the windings, so your high-side would be the same 600V, and doesn't change function.

I've fed solar inverters back onto the grid through a 240Y:480Δ transformers in this same way.
Awesome man. I saw that it worked on paper, but I just couldn't help but shake the feeling that it wasn't a very good idea. I feel good about it now.

Thanks a lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.