Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question on transformer. I was told to run a gutter so we can pulled the secondary conductors outside of the transformer? Is that legal? I thought the vibration of the transformer and running flex would be more ideal. Any thoughts would help and a reference would help too. Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have always used a flex 90 coming out of an indoor transformer and going in a transformer to and from a panel. This is the first time I've ever heard of someone asking me to installed a gutter on the side of the transformer and pull wire from it. I just want to find a code that say you can't do that so I can keep doing the flex.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I have always used a flex 90 coming out of an indoor transformer and going in a transformer to and from a panel. This is the first time I've ever heard of someone asking me to installed a gutter on the side of the transformer and pull wire from it. I just want to find a code that say you can't do that so I can keep doing the flex.
Look in the area of installations being electrically safe and mechanically sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ninjazx916r said:
Nothing wrong with using gutter. I just had one custom built to go between a transformer and some gear.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
fistofbolts said:
funny you post that. my instructor (who is a inspector) was going on about how he fails conduits going in the bottom everytime. he says it is ventilated to release heat and you cannot go into the bottom period. also you can't land lugs etc in the vent areas.
300.12 We do it all the time. Just saying. And i thought heat rises

·
Registered
32,968 Posts
funny you post that. my instructor (who is a inspector) was going on about how he fails conduits going in the bottom everytime. he says it is ventilated to release heat and you cannot go into the bottom period. also you can't land lugs etc in the vent areas.
If he said vented to release heat he knows nothing about convection, it it vented to allow air to enter as heat rises. A minor point but one you could catch him on, if you want to push the limits.

·
IBEW MEMBER
383 Posts
If he said vented to release heat he knows nothing about convection, it it vented to allow air to enter as heat rises. A minor point but one you could catch him on, if you want to push the limits.
I would try, but he likes to backtrack and change what he clearly stated previously. another thing we got him on was green ground screws. he went on one day about how the main point was there had to be a solid connection at the grounding point. (ex: the grounding jumper in a 4 square, wire tightly sandwiched by bolt or screw) went on about how u can use any screw or bolt etc and doesnt need to be green. when at the next class we brought up the code ref disproving that. (it has to be green) he changed his story. just doesnt like being wrong or making mistakes I guess.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.