Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an existing 45KVA 480/ 240 Wye transformer supplying a 45kW water heater. Is the transformer undersized for this load? Been forever since I did any transformer/ commercial 3-phase wiring and I'm just not certain. The wiring looks a little hack-ish (conductors aren't identified, lack of insulated bushings, etc).

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I have an existing 45KVA 480/ 240 Wye transformer supplying a 45kW water heater. Is the transformer undersized for this load? Been forever since I did any transformer/ commercial 3-phase wiring and I'm just not certain. The wiring looks a little hack-ish (conductors aren't identified, lack of insulated bushings, etc).
That is a big water heater!

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See this negative spiral path you've created by insulating my intelligence as an electrician?

This does nothing but harm to your reputation in the real world.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I'm happy to be a failed business man but at least I'm an electrician.
Since you're such an awesome electrician.....why don't you try doing some calculations and helping the guy out instead of trolling.

Mag.......Are you sure it is 45,000 watt water heater @ 240 volts? That's somewhere around 187 amps. Sounds large.
It seems to me that it is likely a 4.5Kw or 4500 watts which would be a draw of 18.7 amps....but you are the guy on site who has actually seen it.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got a call today and was told they smelled something funny coming from the transformer so they turned the disconnect off. None of the conductors were properly identified and were missing some plastic bushings. I suspect things weren't right here. This area is not area of specialty. Maybe Peter D can help me I thought so I posted here.

Attachments

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Yeah....that transformer will JUST handle that as long as there is no other connected load. That tank draws 108 amps when wired up as 3 phase unit and the transformer will do 108 amps.

Connect a few 100 watt bulbs and you're overloading the transformer.

FWIW......I would prefer to see a 75KvA transformer in that situation

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Is it connected single phase or three phase?
Wow.....a helpful question.:laughing:

If its connected single phase it will WAY overload that transformer. Are you guys required by the NEC to fuse the secondaries of transformers?

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that. :rolleyes:
Yes well........I figured such an awesome electrician wouldn't have to ask such an obvious question. :rolleyes:

I noticed how you edited out my question. Guess you can't answer that one either huh?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Rollie73 said:
Yes well........I figured such a handsome electrician wouldn't have to ask such an obvious question. :rolleyes: I noticed how you edited out my question. Guess you can't answer that one either huh?
fify :rolleyes:

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From my recollection....

45,000/ 415 (240x 1.732) = 108.4 amps, which is exactly what I was reading on the amprobe.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Yes well........I figured such an awesome electrician wouldn't have to ask such an obvious question. :rolleyes:

I noticed how you edited out my question. Guess you can't answer that one either huh?
It depends. Under certain circumstances, yes.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If this transformer is in ruff shape then you may not want to load it to the max.

But it's up to you :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts