Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I built a 30 x 40 shop building beside (100') my home. At that time, my wife had the idea of building a new home and using propane appliances. I had a new service pole and meter installed. I hung a 200 amp service panel which has a 200 amp main breaker, with 6 spaces for additional breakers, and ran direct burial 4/0 Al to my shop with conduit risers only on each end. I didn’t need 200 amp in the shop, but didn’t know where my wife wanted to put a new home in the future, so I over built somewhat in case I took power from the shop for the new house. Murphy’s law set in, and the new house is going to be beside the new meter pole for the shop. (150’ away) and total electric. I don’t need the 200 amp service to the shop. I will not dig up the 150’ of buried 4/0 to the shop, but do want to downgrade to 100 amp breaker serving the shop (don’t think I’ll ever need that much). I want to install a 100 amp breaker in one of the spare locations in the existing panel below the meter and downstream of the existing 200 amp main breaker, jumper #1 over to a new switch/disconnect, and move the shop 4/0 wire from the existing panel, to the new switch/disconnect going to the shop. I’ll have to dig up the conduit riser and several feet of direct burial and resituate it order to hit the new switch/disconnect which will be on the same wooden service pole as the existing main disconnect. In order to accommodate the 4/0 Al wire out of the bottom of the new switch/disconnect, I ass/u/me I’ll need a 200 amp switch/disconnect. And, I should be good with 3’ to 4’ of #1 between the 100 amp breaker in the original main disconnect panel, and the top of the new 200 amp switch/disconnect. Then I will use the main lugs on the existing 200 amp panel for buried service wire the new home coming off the 200 amp main breaker. Question: Is there a better way of doing this? I’ve got to have some way to transition between the 100 amp breaker and the existing 4/0 Al wire. Anybody got a better idea?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,064 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.