Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a remodel at college recreation center. Half of a fitness room are has temp walls up so on one side it's construction zone and the other side college students and faculty members work out. The problem is that when they put the walls up they no longer had receptacles for there treadmills. Owner rep and campus electrician came and told me that there getting guff for no outlets. And it's in the contract that there ppl maintain the occupied areas And that it would take two weeks to get 6 dedicated circuits for these 6 treadmills. I offer to hook up a temp 50 amp spider box which so happens to have 6 circuits. If there cool with it in there fitness room. I get it all hooked in and plugged in. Turn them all on and turn up the speed and two treadmills of the same brand trip the two of the gfi's on the job box. Reset it speed it back up works for 10 seconds then trips. Switched to a different recep and same thing. Is this an objectionable current issue in these two particular treadmills. Because the other brands of treadmills work fine all have 20 plugs and all temp receps are 20amp rated I'm just an apprentice and would like to know why this is. and the jman was stumped. So any enlightenment would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
There's no way to know without being there in person, but it sounds like something inside those treadmills in question may a little worn out (equipment failure, probably motor windings) causing the gfci to trip.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Some treadmills and GFCI/AFCI breakers don't play well together because the electrical noise they produce messes with the electronics in the breakers.

Sometimes using a long extension cord will help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.