Electrician Talk banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,084 Posts
My mom lives in Bend, I'd have to agree with the lava rock to China comment. I'll bet driving ground rods around there isn't a popular grounding method either....
I lived in Bend from 1974 to 1991......

The inspectors would let us lay ground rods horizontally in the ditch; otherwise it'd be nearly impossible to drive them in some places.

It's funny though, the landfill out on Knott road is very likely over 100' deep. Just dirt, no rocks.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,480 Posts
Only way I’ve ever seen was hitting it with a ship.... Then again it end so well.... View attachment 151551

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
30,899 Posts
No coral rock, but we have caliche over here.

Sometimes they use a jackhammer attachment on an excavator depending on how far they are going, other times they use a wheel trencher like you have posted for longer runs.

You can't be the only contractor in your area dealing with the stuff, is there an excavation contractor you can sub, that'll have the equipment to handle it?

We got's lava. Blue Rock is extreme hard very old lava, impossible to drill thru. We use a backhoe with the jackhammer attachment , but we call it a hop toe. I had to dig out my footings and sewer line ditch using one of those . Took 4 days of hammering to get it all done.

Reactions: MikeFL

·
Conservitum Americum
8,754 Posts
How come everyone is trenching? A directional boring machine is easy and cheap.

Well so much for not reading the entire thread.

You might want to call Vermeer and Ditch Witch for advice.

·
Conservitum Americum
8,754 Posts
Dunno. I've never trenched. We always used directional. Especially on this one job where they had fiber everywhere and no one absolutely no one knew where it was.

·
Premium Member
18,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
We decided to use a backhoe with a 12” we took a 3 ton Kubota mini excavator with a 24” bucket out to the site.
We were able to scratch down 6” with just about 3 passes. I think a heavier marking with a smaller. Bucket will get us where we need to be in a day.

·
Registered
353 Posts
We decided to use a backhoe with a 12” we took a 3 ton Kubota mini excavator with a 24” bucket out to the site.
We were able to scratch down 6” with just about 3 passes. I think a heavier marking with a smaller. Bucket will get us where we need to be in a day.
Get the rock teeth if they are available.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
We have several different buckets for our mini, 12" and 18" toothed buckets being a couple of them. On our machine, when using the 12", I have to watch my depth because it rubs the bucket pins against the side of the ditch if you go much deeper then the bucket. The 18" doesn't have that problem. I'm not sure if that's how all mini's are or just our 35G. Just something to lookout for, in dirt not much of a problem, in harder coral rock might be an issue??

I'm glad to hear the mini will get it done though, that sounds a lot simpler and more straightforward than the other options.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would attempt it with a backhoe (CAT 426?) with a narrow bucket with rock teeth and have a quickie saw with a diamond blade to cut the edges (only after I could not find an excavation contractor to do it).
We ended up with a backhoe and a 12" regular bucket.
We scratched our way through it.
The good news is we have some nice fill for our slab base.
:cool:

Thanks for sharing this. Curious, were rock teeth available or did you decide to just not worry about it?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts