Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Show up to a rewire trim out.....immediately notice things have changed around since I was here last. Down stairs bathroom is different,2 doorways have moved, one counter top is different in the kitchen...whatever....

Get to work, and soon find this surprise. Here is where a long hallway used to be, now its a closet.

..Look inside and see a hole in the one side of the wall....

...look in a little further, and see this!!! My wire going between smoke detectors...

Heres the view where it comes through the ceiling, down to the crawl space. (I had to go around a few existing plaster walls to fish this wire in.)
This wire was run in what was a empty chase, and the carpenters must have cut it when they re-arraged this wall. One easy tug on it and the wire nuts fell right off. :)

Good times. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
....Dang it....

I don't know how to make these pictures show up

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Did you knock heads smash objects and charge the customer more for it?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Looks like you're trying to link to images on your computer and not hosted on the innernets.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like you're trying to link to images on your computer and not hosted on the innernets.
I don't know what that means. Ive only put pics up once or twice here, and it was quite a while back....

I have no idea what Im doing. :)

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
I don't know what that means. Ive only put pics up once or twice here, and it was quite a while back....

I have no idea what Im doing. :)
You simply posted the filename that's on your computer's hard drive. We have no way to access your hard drive.

Click here.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Show up to a rewire trim out.....immediately notice things have changed around since I was here last. Down stairs bathroom is different,2 doorways have moved, one counter top is different in the kitchen...whatever....

Get to work, and soon find this surprise. Here is where a long hallway used to be, now its a closet.
IMG_20140110_151304.jpg
..Look inside and see a hole in the one side of the wall....
IMG_20140110_151330.jpg
...look in a little further, and see this!!! My wire going between smoke detectors...
IMG_20140110_151343.jpg
Heres the view where it comes through the ceiling, down to the crawl space. (I had to go around a few existing plaster walls to fish this wire in.)
This wire was run in what was a empty chase, and the carpenters must have cut it when they re-arraged this wall. One easy tug on it and the wire nuts fell right off. :)
IMG_20140110_151419.jpg
Good times. :thumbup:

And at the end of the day the unsuspecting homeowner only knows that your work looks like crap. I don't even need to see the pictures, I know where you're coming from. Receptacles behind the toilet, switches on the wrong side of the door, GFCI's half-in/ half-out of the tile work, etc. It's an uneasy feeling if you're passionate about your work like I am.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it!

They are turned funny, but you get the idea. That's my smoke detector wire that handy-andy must have cut and spliced while trying not to spill his beer.

If there is one thing that makes me laugh constantly, its how bad handyman just loosely tighten their wirenuts on, so that even the slightest tug makes them pop off.

Oh well....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Had it happen a lil while back. Mrs. H.O. tells me "we got custom glass shower doors so the capenter changed the door swing because plumber changed the bla bla bla and now the switch is behind the door. What are we going to do?" Ummm lets start by getiing your check book out...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I think what annoys me the most is that a simple phone call telling you to stop by before the village idiot covers stuff would eliminated 95% of the headaches. Only lost it a few times over stuff like that but it would depend on my mood when I had to fix it weather or I would go easy or start ripping his stuff out.

Reactions: papaotis

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Soo......here's what Im thinking of doing without completely destroying about 15 ft of finished walls and ceiling...

This is the 14/3 interconnecting wire between smokes. Im thinking of poping in a cut in box on the other side of this wall and putting a receptacle in. The other side of this wire can easily be pulled down into the crawlspace and spliced. I can then pull a longer 14/3 back up the wall into the cut in box and resplice the wire. I would just wirenut the reds (interconnecting wire together) and hot the receptacle off the 120.
Is this a legal repair?

Just so Im clear. Im wanting to put a receptacle in line between two smoke detectors. The interconnecting wire would just be wire nutted together and basically just pass through the receptacle box.

Hacky...yes...Legal...I cant see any reason why not. Smokes are just tied onto any old regular circuit anyways. As long as they are interconnected, I cant see why this wouldn't meet code.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
Soo......here's what Im thinking of doing without completely destroying about 15 ft of finished walls and ceiling...

This is the 14/3 interconnecting wire between smokes. Im thinking of poping in a cut in box on the other side of this wall and putting a receptacle in. The other side of this wire can easily be pulled down into the crawlspace and spliced. I can then pull a longer 14/3 back up the wall into the cut in box and resplice the wire. I would just wirenut the reds (interconnecting wire together) and hot the receptacle off the 120.
Is this a legal repair?

Just so Im clear. Im wanting to put a receptacle in line between two smoke detectors. The interconnecting wire would just be wire nutted together and basically just pass through the receptacle box.

Hacky...yes...Legal...I cant see any reason why not. Smokes are just tied onto any old regular circuit anyways. As long as they are interconnected, I cant see why this wouldn't meet code.
its one of those jurisdiction things. here smokes have to be on their own cuircuit

·
Estwing magic
26,767 Posts
Somebody is in charge here who doesn't know what they're doing. Either this is a home owner hiring subtrades or a bad excuse for a GC hiring subtrades.

Perhaps splices in the interconnecting cable are okay but it doesn't have the integrity of an unmolested cable. You installed an unmolested cable and, dammit, that's the way it should be. Otherwise you're going to walk away from that job with a little bit of nausea in your stomach.

This would pi$$ me off to the point where I would just say, "I'm not splicing that cable". If someone has to start dropping wall board so you can run a new cable, then that's the way it's gotta be. And I would make damn sure my bank account gets a little bit happier in the process.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts