Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would tip of some fellow business owners about Triplogik GPS Mileage Recorder.

I haven't received it yet, according to the tracking number it should arrive tomorrow- 2 days shipping.

I have downloaded the desktop software and set it up the way I wanted it.

The best part is that there is no contract, and no monthly/ annual fees.

I found it by fluke after getting reamed out by the accountant for not recording the mileage properly. I did a search on a whim for Free GPS Mileage tracker and it was the first result.

I just wanted to pass it along to hopefully keep you overhead down as well.

;) Website HERE

Just curious if anyone else has one and has some tips for me.

·
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've been using this thing for a week and love it. You only have to remember one thing. To push the blue button to differentiate between business and personal.

I told the accountant about it and he made me bring it in to show other clients of his and his staff. (I'll have to remember to send him a bill for training. :laughing: )

It's worth checking out if you have only one- or many vehicles (1 per vehicle if I read it right) It plugs into your OBDII reader port which leaves the power ports open for phone chargers.:thumbup:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Sounds awesome, going to check into this. I've been recording daily mileage in a logbook, but I hate doing it at the end of the day.. so often I don't bother, then I gotta make it up at a later date.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My wife said she would keep a log book, but it never happened. I knew full well that I never would. I didn't want to lie to myself. :)

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I started working for myself last year and didn't do any mileage log until I met with my accountant at the end of the year and discovered I should have been. Then I started it this year.. but always get lazy and stop recording. I need something better, this might be it!

·
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just bought one. It arrives tomorrow. Can't wait to see how it works. Thanks for the suggestion!
In the mean time, download the desktop software HERE.

Don't forget to save your trip log and make sure it opens when you open the program when you start it, then it will self populate the areas that you have traveled to before with the names that you assigned and the type of trip it was (personal/ business) you can also change the sequence of the button, since we take very few personal trips, I made it so that the logger automatically starts it as a business trip and we have to push it if it's a personal one.

The light and the sounds can be turned off if you want and if you want to change the type of trip afterwards, it can be done in the software.

It's so easy even a plumber could use it!:eek::laughing:

·
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just ordered 2, this is exactly what I've been looking for. Good find!
You have the boss to thank for that, I was complaining that all the tracking services out there charged a monthly fee. She suggested typing the word free before the GPS tracking devices in the search bar and that was the very first one that popped up.

Richard the owner even called me personally to thank me for an issue that I was having for payment through paypal and that I didn't give up. Great company and great service in my opinion.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
We use Exxon/Mobil Fleet National, works at all Exxon Mobil's plus a slew of other gas stations. in addition when you use the card it asked for your odometer mileage and employee ID number. Monthly you get a invoice with all pertinent data.

·
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
We use Exxon/Mobil Fleet National, works at all Exxon Mobil's plus a slew of other gas stations. in addition when you use the card it asked for your odometer mileage and employee ID number. Monthly you get a invoice with all pertinent data.
I'm not sure, but I think (don't get me wrong here) that the ones asking have a vehicle that they use for both business AND Personal use, although the triplogik works in either instance and tracks trips in detail with gooogle maps.

As a dedicated company vehicle I can see great advantages to your suggestion though. :thumbup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just wanted to add to the above endorsement, this piece of kit is fabulous. Can't beat the price and no monthly fees.

As long as you aren't looking for real time tracking for dispatching purposes, etc, this is for you!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Have had it now for a week, seems to be a great purchase! Thanks again to original poster! Btw,I put one on 2 of my trucks. On mine, I use for both personal & business, the other just for work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can even set it up to have more than 2 choices, just have to edit it in the software. Pushing the button just signifies it as business, personal or whatever other purpose you choose.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,407 Posts
This is not pertaining to you guys from Canada but to us in the States.
But I thought that the question on our tax form that asks "do you have another vehicle for personal use?" took care of the mileage issue if you checked "yes". By checking "yes" you are saying the vehicle on your Schedule C is for business only and all mileage is business related.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
We are looking at some different options...

Modifier, are you still using it? How do you like it?

We are looking at that and this:https://triplogmileage.com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.