Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking for a little insight , I have a 400amp service that comes into a ct cabinet combo disco , was inspected by local inspector and waiting for power company to power us up, well here comes the funny part meter guy comes in and says I HAVE to change it to a 320 I asked why he said they don't ct anything 400amp or less I just laughed, in 25 years experience I've never heard such a thing but Im still learning I guess, anyone ever run into this before or have any insight? Thanks in advance

·
BlackWhale49
30 Posts
Energyguy said:
Hey guys looking for a little insight , I have a 400amp service that comes into a ct cabinet combo disco , was inspected by local inspector and waiting for power company to power us up, well here comes the funny part meter guy comes in and says I HAVE to change it to a 320 I asked why he said they don't ct anything 400amp or less I just laughed, in 25 years experience I've never heard such a thing but Im still learning I guess, anyone ever run into this before or have any insight? Thanks in advance
I assume you mean you have to install a 320A meter enclosure. Are you working from a set of prints and specs and if so, what does it call for? Can you have the engineer deal with the design side? If not, the CT's and meter are technically the serving utility's side at least in our area. If you've done it that way before, call the meter guy's supervisor or talk to the meter guy and see if he'll work with you this time. If you can't make any headway, you get to pull out the CT cabinet and install the 320A meter can. Hopefully your conduits and conductors will work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts