Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my guys called me from a service call the other day.

When the ceiling fan is turned on via wall switch, the fireplace (sometimes) ignites.

I don't know how these things work. We provided 120V to a single pole switch and the fireplace guys take it from there.

I won't make you take a bunch of wild guesses.

At the ceiling fan switch JB, he noticed dark/black discoloration on the ground wires. That suggested current flowing on the grounds, right?

He opened all the JB's on the circuit, one at a time, finding the same discoloration. When he opened one up, the issue disappeared.

In that box he found drywaller's router damage to the switch leg of the switched receptacle.

The ground wire(s) were contacting the skinned spot, slightly insulated by a layer of drywall mud/texture. The intermittent thing was because of the switched receptacle not always being on.

Now, as far as why the igniter triggered? I have no idea.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It might be that the fireplace igniter uses the grounding path as its neutral connection.

If there is a ground fault on the ceiling fan, the current might travel through the fireplace, causing the igniter to start.

Or if the ceiling fan uses a different hot leg than the fireplace, the current travelling through the ground would get channeled through the ignitor because of the different phases.

In either case, i'd take an educated guess that:

1. Fireplace uses ground as its grounded conductor
2. Ground fault in the ceiling fan

·
332 Posts
220/221 said:
1. Which one?

2. No :laughing:
Not that it makes any difference on the way it was acting, but just wondering. The reason is because I noticed when I first started using the black push in Romex connectors, I had a couple zipped by the roto zip in octagon boxes. I quit pulling my slack all the way into the box and leaving a loop outside the box, and then pulling it through before I hung the fixture. Since then, it seems I started to find at least one Romex per house hit by the roto zip on the outside of the box. Makes me want to go back to using the screw type.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Is it a remote control FP, is the fan remote control from switch( lutron 2=3wire adapter)

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.