Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a refrigerator that pulls one leg down to about 95 volts on the circuit that it is on, when it comes on. The other leg rises by about the same voltage. This same response occured when I plugged the refrigerator into another circuit. Originally thinking it is the refrigerator, I hesitated, in case there are other dynamics on the service that I am not aware of. Would anybody have any ideas if there could be such problems on the service and how to go about verifying them? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
If you aren't careful you can burn up all your customers equipment.

I would suggest shutting all the breakers off in the panel except for one that you can use to run a hole hawg or some other heavy load on. That will help you track down the bad neutral if it's not obvious, without letting everything else in the home experience an overvoltage.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
sideshowbob said:
Thank you for the answers. A bad connection on the neutral wire makes sense. Yes, I am somewhat new. More work done installing then troubleshooting. I hope that 480Sparky's other 34,003 posts included something useful for somebody.

That's the norm around here. Everyone here is the BEST electrician and if you ask a question you must be a crap electrician.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Thanks again to everyone for the insights that were provided. That bit of knowledge will serve me well, now and in the future. It's nice to have a place to get quality help when you get stumped, even if it means taking a beating.
Thats how it works around here - ask a question, and get told your a diy'er who works at burger king. After a while it wont bother you anymore, but it sure will make you mad for the first few months you hang around this place.

I have learned some great information here, but after a while it just turns into a huge waste of time.....

·
Registered
15,055 Posts
MHElectric said:
Thats how it works around here - ask a question, and get told your a diy'er who works at burger king. After a while it wont bother you anymore, but it sure will make you mad for the first few months you hang around this place. I have learned some great information here, but after a while it just turns into a huge waste of time.....
No one makes you come here.

·
Registered
442A -Industrial Electrician's ticket since '93
453 Posts
You're right, backstay. we've been lured by the supposed fact that this forum is for professional electricians to learn and teach and share experiences. I, too, have come to realize that an apparent majority of respondents feel the need to build themselves up by putting others down. So, in one respect, I feel compelled to thank those who make such remarks. It makes me feel young - as if Im in grade school again.....Seriously though, it's got to the point that I slip on a pair of rubber boots before logging on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.