Electrician Talk banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,742 Posts
Its cool to have neat tools like that. From a purely smoke and mirrors display, using this could have real benefits in the Beverly Hills type suburbs. $$$. But a seat of the pants way to check the same is to energize just about everything in the house possible without overloading the main for the test. Doing that causes enough load to make the voltage swing around in the hot legs when the neut. is loose someplace up ahead of the main. (note- don't forget to unplug the widescreen tv and similar money stuff like that first)

·
Registered
7 Posts
What I have done in the past is turn all 2 pole breakers off, turn all "A" phase breakers on and all "B" phase breakers off, then turn the lights on in all rooms. If the neutral is bad "B" phase voltage will go way up. The breakers on "B" phase are off so nothing is damaged. I would still unplug tv's and computers as anything on "A" phase will have voltage go down. Mike ps. first post hello everyone!

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,742 Posts
It is also a good way to SMOKE the customers expensive electronics. .
Read the entire post. I said as much. And it was all tongue in cheek. And actually I like how mikethebike does it.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I watched a utility guy use one of those last year. For the budget minded, I turn off all the circuits in the home except the circuit for the panel outlet. I test the voltage, then see if it varies with a hairdryer running from the panel outlet. With a loose utility neutral it changed something like 10-20V, though I don't recall. It was more than I expected from a load like that. The tipoff is usually when someone says their lights dim/brighten with a load. There aren't many things that will brighten lights other than utility overvoltage.

Dave

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was working at a nursing home Friday that I had never been in before.
I plugged my cordless drill battery charger into a hall outlet.

I continued working then noticed the red flashing light on my charger doing somthing I have never seen before. The legend on the charge read somthing like improper voltage, or I can't even remember right now.

I grabbed a tester and and read approximately 208volts. The home's maintenance man was over my shoulder. I asked him "you have a 3 phase 240 service? wild leg?" he had no idea. I asked him when the last time he used the outlet. He shrugged.

I followed the pipe in the ceiling to the first J-box, opened her up pulled the neutral out of the box and saw an arc in the wire nut. Twisted it up and the plug tested fine.

Just goes along the lines of your discussion.

Wonder what it would do to the floor buffer?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts