Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one guys. I have a plug I can't seem to get power to. It's on a lightning circuit with 7 T5 4lamp fixtures.
I also have 24v on the hot, neutral and even ground.

I'm stumped. What could be causing this? Does anyone have any ideas what to go about solving this?

Any inputs great. Thanks !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plug got 24 across everything. Which dies when you kill the breaker.
Also, it's a phantom 14/2 into the device box. No idea where it comes from.
Splicing looks good. Voltage is good inside the switches.
I was hoping someone encountered something similar before, or have an idea what causes this.

If I knew what caused something as unusual as this it might give me an idea what to look into.

Could it have something to do with an incorrectly wired ballast?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Here's one guys. I have a plug I can't seem to get power to. It's on a lightning circuit with 7 T5 4lamp fixtures.
I also have 24v on the hot, neutral and even ground.

I'm stumped. What could be causing this? Does anyone have any ideas what to go about solving this?

Any inputs great. Thanks !
What did you use for this test ?
What did you use for a neutral in this test ?
Have you checked for hidden/unknown GFCI's ?
Is it a switched outlet ?
Do you know for sure which circuit breaker it's on ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used my meter for the test.
When I'm beeper indicated there was power on my ground, a extension cord from another plug was used to get the reading on my ground.

I haven't searched for any GFI's. Definitely something I'll consider thanks.

I lose the 24volts when the particular breaker is shut off.

It's the most unusual thing I've seen. This is a service call an not a deficiency. I'm going in kind of blind right now.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
If the building was build in the 60's, it's entirely possible you're dealing with a 28volt system. You should find a dedicated contactor panel that runs all of the lighting. I've seen it once about 12 years ago, but here is some good info. It would explain why your lighting works but can use that circuit to add a receptacle.

http://inspectapedia.com/electric/Low_Voltage_Home_Wiring.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.