Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to an experienced contractor today who is bogged down in the job from hell and he said he should have known better. I told him to always go with his gut.

I recall reading somewhere that there is a link between the brain and the gut, sort of like the reptilian brain, a fight or flight kind of thing.

Anyway, that's my naval gazing for today :) .

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You couldn't be more right!
You ever get that's bad feeling about a customer only to have them prove your gut instincts were right on.
I listen more now than I used to for sure.
Still feel like I may be letting money go sometimes , but don't stress about payment or PITA customers nearly as much as I did when I first started out.

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Of course I'll always go with my gut feeling now more than ever because of experience. I'm 44 years old and the way I see it that's a lot of life experience to know wrong from right and good from bad. Also don't be afraid to talk about money with your customers because in the end it's your job to keep that checking account loaded up and without a customer that ain't happening!

·
Estwing magic
27,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a referral a couple of years ago. It was a big job and, for starters, I went out and hooked up a generator. The job smelled bad so I walked.

A month later a friend of mine phoned me and said, "You gotta come back. This guy pays his bills, blah, blah, blah". I got stung for $4000.00. My friend stuck it out longer and got stung for $12,000.00.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Of course I'll always go with my gut feeling now more than ever because of experience. I'm 44 years old and the way I see it that's a lot of life experience to know wrong from right and good from bad. Also don't be afraid to talk about money with your customers because in the end it's your job to keep that checking account loaded up and without a customer that ain't happening!
I'm 54 and ignored my gut feelings because I had been friends with this GC for more than 30 years, I did a job for him in January this year and knew better, sure enough he nailed me for $4,000....:mad::mad:

·
Electrical Contractor
5,633 Posts
Unfortunately ,especially when they wave $$$, it works about as well as the link from our brain to my d!ck....:jester:~CS~
That's not a line, it's a freeway:thumbup:

Reactions: chicken steve

·
Electrical Contractor
5,633 Posts
My gut told me to move to a nice small town where everyone knows everyone and who's who.
And where, if you weren't born there, to a family that was one of the founders, you won't get any work:whistling2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.