Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. It's good to post here, I've been reading this forum for the past little while and the advice from the community always seems honest (brutally so haha) and helpful.

I'm 22 years old and desperately seeking entrance into this field. I know the words "no prior experience" probably scares employers but I have the work ethic and commitment to stick with the job and learn.

The only construction experience I have is that I have helped renovate homes by doing simple tiling and flooring work.

I understand that being indentured is something you have to earn and it's not just handed out willy-nilly. So I was wondering if anybody here has any idea of who is hiring starters in Edmonton right now, or which companies seem like a safe bet. General Labour is more than fine as long as it doesn't stray me off the path to becoming an apprentice at some point.

I started cold-calling through the yellow pages and so far no luck, but i have a lot more numbers to hit. Any ideas as to which places I should seek out in person? And how should I approach them? I'm nervous, this is really important to me and I don't want to screw up the first impression.

Thanks, looking forward to replies in this thread :whistling2:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hi guys. It's good to post here, I've been reading this forum for the past little while and the advice from the community always seems honest (brutally so haha) and helpful.

I'm 22 years old and desperately seeking entrance into this field. I know the words "no prior experience" probably scares employers but I have the work ethic and commitment to stick with the job and learn.

The only construction experience I have is that I have helped renovate homes by doing simple tiling and flooring work.

I understand that being indentured is something you have to earn and it's not just handed out willy-nilly. So I was wondering if anybody here has any idea of who is hiring starters in Edmonton right now, or which companies seem like a safe bet. General Labour is more than fine as long as it doesn't stray me off the path to becoming an apprentice at some point.

I started cold-calling through the yellow pages and so far no luck, but i have a lot more numbers to hit. Any ideas as to which places I should seek out in person? And how should I approach them? I'm nervous, this is really important to me and I don't want to screw up the first impression.

Hello,Welcome to the electrical trade and the forum.:thumbup:

Just keep calling and looking,,Be confidant in yourself and someone will hire you.

Good luck..:)

·
Registered
625 Posts

I would submit resumes to people who are looking. Make sure you have a tools and transportation.

I only mention this because I was talking to another guy at work about it, and we joked that everyone in the city starts at K-Jay. I realized that I did indeed know close to a dozen people who started there. I have never worked for them, and have heard good and bad things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. I think i might go apply to k-jay in person tomorrow. when i visit these contractors should i ask to speak to the manager directly? seems like i can get a better word in that way.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Who you would speak to depends on the company. If you are applying to a bigger company, they might have a hiring manager or HR person. You will typically interview with a project manager or owner, and sometimes even a site foreman.

If you go in person, there is no guarantee that the relevant person will even be at the shop. Depending on the company, the people hiring you may not even be at the shop very often.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
K-Jay. Methinks residential. You could drive around a new construction area, look for a truck, walk in and ask who you would talk to about getting a job. I don't see why the guys working there wouldn't tell you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts