Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to hear some input on this one. I finally have the opportunity to try and pursue a career as an Electrician, but I have no actual work experience working for a company. I did study electronics in University and since being out of school for quite a while I have taken on my own electrical projects. In the past I have built/renovated and wired 3 houses of my own and just recently I finished a 10kw solar grid tied installation all of which passed ESA inspections. Now that I am in my late 30's I want to start something that I can work at for another 20 years but I just am having an issue on how to approach an electrical contractor. What would you guys suggest? I want to become licensed and I know its hard to find a company to do this but there has to be a way! Any ideas?

I don't know if it matters or not but I am located in Ontario.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Need to hear some input on this one. I finally have the opportunity to try and pursue a career as an Electrician, but I have no actual work experience working for a company. I did study electronics in University and since being out of school for quite a while I have taken on my own electrical projects. In the past I have built/renovated and wired 3 houses of my own and just recently I finished a 10kw solar grid tied installation all of which passed ESA inspections. Now that I am in my late 30's I want to start something that I can work at for another 20 years but I just am having an issue on how to approach an electrical contractor. What would you guys suggest? I want to become licensed and I know its hard to find a company to do this but there has to be a way! Any ideas?

I don't know if it matters or not but I am located in Ontario.
How are you getting this work done without the license?:blink:

Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
When we hire, we don't care about age or skill level as much as willingness to work, and having the ability to get to work on time.

·
IBEW Local#269
339 Posts
When we hire, we don't care about age or skill level as much as willingness to work, and having the ability to get to work on time.
Right....
Get it done as fast as possible, no matter if it's right or not.
That's why our trade is dying.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Right....
How did what he said have anything to do with your post? Being to work on time and willingness to work is extremely important. nothing he said had anything to do with getting it done as fast as possible.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Right....
That is me, trade killer.

When I said skill level, I was talking about apprentices. I will take an older person who is green and wants to work over someone who has training and doesnt show up on time, and can't shut his phone up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I completely agree that showing up on time and wanting to learn is extremely important but that happens once your in the job! What advice I am looking for is how to sell myself to an employer to get the job. Anyone run a company or someone who is responsible for hiring that could give some input?

·
IBEW Local#269
339 Posts
If it were me, I would simply approach a contractor, and tell him your situation. Be honest about your experience, and see what happens.
Give it a shot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I completely agree that showing up on time and wanting to learn is extremely important but that happens once your in the job! What advice I am looking for is how to sell myself to an employer to get the job. Anyone run a company or someone who is responsible for hiring that could give some input?
I do the hiring along with my business partner.

That is what i look for, show me a resume where you do not jump from company to company and show me this is what you want to do for the rest of your life.

New hires cost alot of money, small mistakes, slowing the crew down, and causing more damage when running new lines in existing structures. I would not hire you you because you wired a few houses or you were in school 10 years ago. I look past that and i try to see if you are worth putting the time and money into.

Good luck to you, I think you will do well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts