Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to adapt a 6" tube to 6" pipe. This is for a solar mount. The mount is supposed to sit on top of a 6" vertical pipe but the GC installed a 6" tube instead. Said he didn't know there was difference. Told me he installed the one that was 6". So any ideas?

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Tubbing is round (EMT) 6" outside diameter. Pipe is about 6-11/16 inside diameter. Pipe is a cap that goes over the top. Has two bolts that secure it at 10 and 2 o'clock. But it's loose when the bolts are all the way in. And this is a mount for 4 solar panels. At the top of the cap are some flanges that a large aluminum beam goes thorough. This thing is a sail and needs to be very secure. I just though maybe someone had a sleeve idea I could use to fill the space between.

Pipe Roof Steel Metal

This is a picture of it. It's the part at the top of the pole.

·
cog
5,292 Posts
They weld nuts on the pipe for the bolts. So just tapping the pipe must not be enough treads. There is a lot of stress on these in a 70 mph wind.
dealing with what I have at hand, I would, as J said, rip a piece of 1/4" x 6 " pipe down its length. Drill 4 x 1/2" holes around its circumference, wrap it around the top of the tubing, and then plug weld it in place. Then apply the pipe w/set screws.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
What if you made the shims as suggested previously, then drill through both the pipe and the tubing on both sides and use a long piece of ready rod (5/8" or 3/4") at 2 places, 90 degrees out and I'd guess at least a foot apart? Long 1/4" bit and a hole saw would work.. That would definately snug everything up and stop it from wanting to spin in the wind.. Just a thought..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.