Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Because there's a non-reversing ratchet on the capstan that that holds it stationary and takes up the tension on the pulling line. If that wasn't there and the tugger died in the middle of a vertical pull the weight of the cable could quickly make everything very unpleasant for everyone involved.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
W T F ?

Any one know whats going on ?

Is this a follow on from another post ?

Is there some point to this question ?

:whistling2:[/QUOTE

W t f
Is everyone on hear a ****head?

Are YOU a corn fed inbred?

Are you down with OPP?

Can i du dis?

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Big John said:
Because there's a non-reversing ratchet on the capstan that that holds it stationary and takes up the tension on the pulling line. If that wasn't there and the tugger died in the middle of a vertical pull the weight of the cable could quickly make everything very unpleasant for everyone involved.
Bingo. I've been known to park the forks of a lull on the tugger chassis for those real butt puckering overhead jobs

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
Well question why would you want to reverse the direction if you could ? If you want direction change turning it around that's not a different direction its just how you rap the rope that's not changing anything but pulling under or over you doing nothing .
He said direction change .

I have twisted 1 1/4" diameter double braided nylon rope before its lots of fun to untwist . We have also had the tugger rip off all 3/8 anchors and twists its way to the the ceiling . When or if you tangle it up you pick up the tugger and physically un due it even if you had reverse it will not help .
That's going to make it worst now its twisting on top of what you already twisted . You look away for one second to talk to someone or take your mind off for one second and its over . It takes 30 minutes to pull a average pull on our projects that's starting up the tugger and tugging not set up time so guys get board looking at the rope but never take you eyes off it ever.

You gotta get the rope untangled by hand its easy if you stop after 1 second but if your helper keeps going its at little more time plus its loads of fun . We have burned up at least 4 greenlee tuggers in 30 plus years flat out stop and smoked them . And have over lapped rope a few trust me it doesn't work backwards .

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Bingo. I've been known to park the forks of a lull on the tugger chassis for those real butt puckering overhead jobs
Years ago I transferred to a high-rise job just after someone got the genius idea to do the vertical pull of MI by craning the spools to the roof and letting the weight of the cable feed itself down an elevator shaft.

Worked awesome. Worked so awesome that all that cable very efficiently crammed itself into a pile in the elevator pit.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Big John said:
Years ago I transferred to a high-rise job just after someone got the genius idea to do the vertical pull of MI by craning the spools to the roof and letting the weight of the cable feed itself down an elevator shaft. Worked awesome. Worked so awesome that all that cable very efficiently crammed itself into a pile in the elevator pit.
Haha. They even teach you in the apprenticeship not to do that. Like ever

·
Registered
678 Posts
Years ago I transferred to a high-rise job just after someone got the genius idea to do the vertical pull of MI by craning the spools to the roof and letting the weight of the cable feed itself down an elevator shaft.

Worked awesome. Worked so awesome that all that cable very efficiently crammed itself into a pile in the elevator pit.
LMBO always pull up lol

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts

We do that, we tie a type of prussic loop to the cantols or cable so it brakes itself though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts