Electrician Talk banner

Twins and L16s

CEC 
4K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Ink&Brass 
#1 ·
Where is the code that says you always need a connector for BX? Like coming into the back of a light, junction box etc

#4 ·
maybe this one?
12-3022

(5) Where metal-sheathed conductors enter boxes, cabinets, or fittings, the box connector shall be installed in a manner that will meet the requirements of Section 10 without injury to the conductors and shall be of a type for use with the cable.

#5 ·
cdnelectrician said:
Probably in section 12 under armoured cable somewhere...might I ask why you need to know?
Debate came up at work about a BX feeding a light. I said you need a L16 connecting to the light, they say no you don't. So free air BX right through the knock out of a light vs L16. Just looking for a specific code.

#8 ·
wcord said:
maybe this one?
12-3022

(5) Where metal-sheathed conductors enter boxes, cabinets, or fittings, the box connector shall be installed in a manner that will meet the requirements of Section 10 without injury to the conductors and shall be of a type for use with the cable.
This is close, this sounds like when it's dealing with boxes and not when there is no box. And yes this is Cletis' brother, it's frustrating...

#10 ·
Are you referring to a bar light, where the back plate is part of the fixture or a fluorescent fixture?
These have to grounded, which your nemesis would argue, is done by the ground wire in the cable.
How about ?
10-610 Bonding at other than service equipment
10-610
The electrical continuity of metal raceway, metal-sheathed, or armoured cable shall be assured by one of the methods specified in Rules 10-606(1)(a), (b), (c), and (d), or by the use of
(c) one locknut and a metal conduit bushing, provided that the bushing can be installed so that it is mechanically secure and makes positive contact with the inside surface of the box or cabinet.

10-606 Means of ensuring continuity at service equipment
10-606
(2) Notwithstanding Subrule (1)(d), box connectors with standard locknuts shall be permitted for bonding the armour of those types of cable assemblies incorporating an internal bonding conductor where the armour is not permitted to be used for bonding purposes.

Basically, the Armoured cable has to be bonded at each end.

And then there is the need to secure the cable so it doesn't pull out of the box/fixture. There many rules in section 12 which refer to securing them

Reactions: glen1971
#13 · (Edited)
I have seen a third-year co-worker get fired over this issue years back. I approached him many multiple times during install of fluorescent lighting in a school to politely inform him that his BX cables were either not in connectors or very loosely clamped to/in the light housing. Once the boss started seeing this as he checked our work, their little fight on the topic of tight connections quickly led to his dismissal.

#14 ·
Aegis said:
I think I found it 12-608 Armoured cable shall be run in a manner such that the mechanical and electrical continuity of the armour is maintained throughout the run, and the armour of cables shall be mechanically and electrically secured to all equipment to which it is attached.
12-3022

(1) Where conductors pass through the walls of boxes, cabinets, or fittings, provision shall be made to
(a) protect the insulation on the conductors from injury;
(b) protect terminal connections from external strain;
(c) provide electrical continuity between a metal box, cabinet, or fitting and conduit, armour, or metal
sheathing of conductors, whether or not the armour or metal sheathing is to be used as a grounding
conductor;
(d) prevent injury to a non-metallic sheath applied over armour or metal sheathing for protection against
moisture or corrosion; and
(e) close the openings through which the conductors pass in such a manner that any remaining opening
will not permit entrance of a test rod 6.75 mm in diameter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.