Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand why only the 2 guys on the job were charged. Shouldn't the master (supervisor) be charged as well? Ultimately, the master is the one in charge of the 2 employees and for pulling permits. The employees cannot pull permits.

The story:

HOUSTON -
Two electricians have been charged in the death of a man who was shocked and killed swimming at a west Houston hotel pool.
Local 2 Investigates Joel Eisenbaum has been following the story at the Hilton Houston Westchase since the tragedy unfolded back on Aug. 31. Police say at dusk the pool lights came on and people in the pool began to complain that they were being shocked.
"I can't believe it, I can't believe what happened," said the victim's brother, Carlos Hernandez.
He lost his brother, Raul Hernandez, that day. Police say he was electrocuted.. A subsequent investigation by the city and state revealed improper wiring to a pool light and no permit pulled for recent work on that light.
Now charged with criminally negligent homicide are two journeyman electricians: 34-year-old James Ray Pyle and 35-year-old Jason Joseph Gorczyka.
Investigative files we've reviewed shows Gorczyka did the faulty work and Pyle was his field supervisor.
Both men worked for Brown Electrical Inc., of northwest Houston.
http://www.click2houston.com/news/c...ol/-/1735978/22875464/-/10x4451z/-/index.html

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
Investigative files we've reviewed shows Gorczyka did the faulty work and Pyle was his field supervisor.

Good.
Clean'em, cook 'em and fry 'em!

Unless they weren't criminally negligent, then just make them pay.

·
Small Potatoes
5,460 Posts
I don't understand why only the 2 guys on the job were charged.
Because they are the ones that physically performed whatever act it was that ultimately caused the victim's demise.

Let's say there are three people standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon looking at the scenery. Along comes Jerry who stumbles on a rock and falls into one of the three who goes over the cliff and dies. A forth guy catches all this on his smart phone by the way.

Are they going to criminally charge the other two for standing there along side him? No, but I bet the family of the poor guy who went over the cliff is going file a civil law suit claiming the other two should have grabbed him before he went over.

Believe me, the owner (master as you call him), the inspector, the hotel owner, the manufacturer of the wet niche light, the manufacturer of the transformer (if there was one) the supervisor and just about anyone else they can think of will be named in a civil law suit.

Shouldn't the master (supervisor) be charged as well? Ultimately, the master is the one in charge of the 2 employees and for pulling permits. The employees cannot pull permits.
But he didn't pull the trigger, so he probably won't be charged criminally. They would never get a conviction. They will, like I said above, go after him in a civil suit and I guarantee you he'll pay big time, monetarily. Probably lose his license, maybe prohibited from ever working in the trade again in the state. Who knows, but he probably won't do jail time. Unfortunately...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Only masters here can pull permits. What exactly did these two do to cause the problem?
I do not know the exact technical cause but in a nutshell stupidity. More than likely they removed some GFCI protection as it probably kept tripping.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Pull a permit but always do the work per the NEC.
That's the kicker. Even if an inspection was done it would not relieve these guys from liability, it would just bring another person into the courtroom.

·
Registered
31,175 Posts
That's the kicker. Even if an inspection was done it would not relieve these guys from liability, it would just bring another person into the courtroom.
I have no clue what they did wrong but if they disconnected a GFCI,,, going to be a tough battle.

Even if you do everything right you can still be charged and later sued.

·
Registered
786 Posts
It blows my mind that anyone would not use gfci protection on this . I hope two licensed electricians did not do this . I just wonder if its more to the story than is being told in the paper ?

·
Registered
31,175 Posts
At some point the truth might come out, after a criminal and civil court cases.

I would think in the civil case the two electricians will be covered by the business owners insurance.

In a case I know of a 18 year old party was found guilty in criminal and lost the civil case was sued for 6 million. The judged garnished his wages taking 1/2 of every pay check until he pays off the civil portion.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
would be nice to know exactly what they did/what went wrong. If they were "replacing" a pool light, it's hard to imagine they would wire onto another (non gfi ) breaker ? weird. I guess the details will come out after trial ?

·
Registered
31,175 Posts
would be nice to know exactly what they did/what went wrong. If they were "replacing" a pool light, it's hard to imagine they would wire onto another (non gfi ) breaker ? weird. I guess the details will come out after trial ?
Expert witness for both sides will get up and make their points known, often the highest priced liar that can sway the jury will win.....

Sad that this had to happen and if the electricians are in the wrong....They will pay the price, yet nothing will help the family that lost a loved one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts