Electrician Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys I'm new to the forum and need some help. I'm doing an addition onto one unit within a two family dwelling, it is roughly 1,900 sq ft
I completed a load calc no problem using the standard method, the total load is 142.5 amps for both units, 102.5 amps for the first floor unit including new addition (in the addition i want to put a 100 amp sub panel in as it has bulk of circuits now, new kitchen, bathrooms dining room, HVAC etc.) the second floor unit is much smaller only 800 sq ft that came out to 40 amps total load(i know 100 amps minimum service). id like to have a 200 amp panel for the first floor and 100 amp for the second floor.My question is about what size the service should be and what size cable to use and what equipment would suit best??. its throwing me off the fact that they are two different size loads.

any help is greatly appreciated, I'm a newly licensed electrician. this is my first big job on my own.

thanks
jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your speedy reply, yes that's how I figured the 142.5 amps. Then I did one separate for the first floor. I'm leaning towards the 200 amp service equipment(2 gang meter socket) and using 4/0 aluminum for drop right?. There is a small common hallway that I'll have to ask inspector about to see if I need to install a public panel just for that it's just two lights and a smoke/CM detector tied in to first floor existing. Thanks for your help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts