Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find anything not compliant with this plan, correct me if I'm wrong. New 320 meter at street, feed 200 amps to mb panel in main house, directly feed 100 amps to 3 bay garage/ pool house mb panel.

·
332 Posts
Shockdoc said:
I can't find anything not compliant with this plan, correct me if I'm wrong. New 320 meter at street, feed 200 amps to mb panel in main house, directly feed 100 amps to 3 bay garage/ pool house mb panel.
I've done it countless times. Nothing against code. However you must have disconnects at meter, and then each panel technically becomes a sub. 4 wires to each panel, neutral not bonded past main disconnect.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done it countless times. Nothing against code. However you must have disconnects at meter, and then each panel technically becomes a sub. 4 wires to each panel, neutral not bonded past main disconnect.
Even with a remote meter at the roadside? That's a grounding pita.

·
Registered
General Superintendent
276 Posts
you only need a disco at the meter if the POCO requires it, you're not at a 'structure' that would require a means of disconnect

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's where I was thinking.

·
Electricity is Amazing!
914 Posts
We do it quite often. The POCO will have their box with the disconnects in them. We do not have to have isolate our neutrals and grounds coming from them. Our local inspector said they consider them the POCOs service disconnect.

·
332 Posts
Techy said:
you only need a disco at the meter if the POCO requires it, you're not at a 'structure' that would require a means of disconnect
It must depend on the area. Here if you have this setup shockdoc speaks of, you must have a disconnect. No matter if the meter is remote or not. This meter/disconnect combo is handy for this situation.

·
332 Posts
Techy said:
Are you allowed to run this unfused cable directly into the home, or do you have to have a disconnect outside?

·
332 Posts
bml215 said:
Wouldn't the meter count?
Count as a disconnect? Never. A homeowner, building owner, tenant, homeless person, etc. can turn off a disconnect. None of them can legally pull a meter.

·
Armed and Unhinged
424 Posts
Count as a disconnect? Never. A homeowner, building owner, tenant, homeless person, etc. can turn off a disconnect. None of them can legally pull a meter.
Ahh Ok. We run unfused lines into our homes over here then also.

Drop to meter then right into home to panel with main.

·
332 Posts
bml215 said:
Ahh Ok. We run unfused lines into our homes over here then also.

Drop to meter then right into home to panel with main.
We do the same here. That's not what the OP was about.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
The NEC doesn't care if there is a meter or not. The meter is a POCO requirement... not NEC.

Pete

·
Registered
Electrician
4,427 Posts
Must be a POCO thing because you can have 2 services off one drop per the NEC. No disconnect needed at the meter. Each set of conductors coming off the meter are SE conductors and not feeders.
This is just for dwellings with a separate building or structure.

Do it all the time here. One 320A meter with dual lugs, go to house panel with one set of SE conductors and detached garage with the other set.

·
332 Posts
A Little Short said:
Must be a POCO thing because you can have 2 services off one drop per the NEC. No disconnect needed at the meter. Each set of conductors coming off the meter are SE conductors and not feeders.
This is just for dwellings with a separate building or structure.

Do it all the time here. One 320A meter with dual lugs, go to house panel with one set of SE conductors and detached garage with the other set.
What if that meter was on the house? Do you still not have to have a fused disconnect for the conductors to the garage?

·
Registered
Electrician
4,427 Posts
What if that meter was on the house? Do you still not have to have a fused disconnect for the conductors to the garage?
No because they are service conductors not feeders. Of course you have to have a panel in the garage close to where the conductors enter or you would have to have a disconnect w/OCPD on the outside.

·
332 Posts
A Little Short said:
No because they are service conductors not feeders. Of course you have to have a panel in the garage close to where the conductors enter or you would have to have a disconnect w/OCPD on the outside.
Though it may be code, I personally would never do that. I know, I know, the underground coming to the house is done that way, but I didn't install that, the POCO did. Just my preference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts