Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are adding a guest house onto an existing home which is connected by a breazeway the home has a 325 amp service and the plans are asking for a second meter on the guest house since the two structures are connected are we prohibited from installing a second service?

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
230.2 would typically prohibit this.

It is technically a single building.

Pete

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
We are adding a guest house onto an existing home which is connected by a breazeway the home has a 325 amp service and the plans are asking for a second meter on the guest house since the two structures are connected are we prohibited from installing a second service?

That is up to your POCO you need to check with them,the rules are not uniform everywhere.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
What about being able to use a two gang meter pan,it would still be a single service,one load the guest house the other load the main house ?
Thanks Harry, I was thinking 2 services to a single structure... a single structure could have a thousand meters.

Pete

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If adding a guest house do we consider it a single family residence with a guest house or a multifamily dwelling? and a 2G meter pan can only be used on a multifamily dwelling correct?

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
As Harry pointed out... check with the POCO.

The NEC doesn't limit the number of meters on a structure.

Pete

Reactions: guest

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
230.40 exception 3 allows two meters and 2 mains not grouped. The issue at hand is the building connected and will it be considered one?
I would meet the AHJ on site to discuss this
Just for the sake of "code speak" the number of meters has no code bearing. The number of services, however, does.

Pete

Reactions: Ultrafault

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,363 Posts
Just for the sake of "code speak" the number of meters has no code bearing. The number of services, however, does.

Pete
Just for the sake of "code speak" I completely understand that the poco meter has no bearing. The section I posted 230.40 is the section that gives one the exception to have 2 sets of service entrance conductors from one service lateral. Each set of service entrance conductors supplying a different structure on a single family residential property. 2 meters , 2 mains from technically one service.

Hence the comment I made about the issue being if the 2 structures are considered one.

Amped did not clarify the set up - was the drawings showing 2 separate service laterals or 1 lateral and 2 meters ?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
It's most likely the AHJ is going to have an objection based on municipal regulations, because a "guest cottage" is really code for "apartment," especially when the structure is separately metered. Who the hell separately meters their guests?

Reactions: guest

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Just for the sake of "code speak" I completely understand that the poco meter has no bearing. The section I posted 230.40 is the section that gives one the exception to have 2 sets of service entrance conductors from one service lateral. Each set of service entrance conductors supplying a different structure on a single family residential property. 2 meters , 2 mains from technically one service.

Hence the comment I made about the issue being if the 2 structures are considered one.

Amped did not clarify the set up - was the drawings showing 2 separate service laterals or 1 lateral and 2 meters ?
Maybe I am misunderstanding...

What I got from the OP (after Harry made me read it again) was that we have a single structure (due to the connecting breezeway).

There is one 325 amp service to the structure.

I'm not sure the exception you provided is applicable in this scenario since we are not talking about seperate structures.

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass with you.

Sorry if I came accross that way.

Pete

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,363 Posts
Maybe I am misunderstanding...

What I got from the OP (after Harry made me read it again) was that we have a single structure (due to the connecting breezeway).

There is one 325 amp service to the structure.

I'm not sure the exception you provided is applicable in this scenario since we are not talking about seperate structures.

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass with you.

Sorry if I came accross that way.

Pete
Yep one structure that is why I was suggesting to meet the ahj and see if they could get a "code modification" on it. Surprising what can happen when approached correctly.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,520 Posts
As Pete stated it is a common misconception that 2 meters means 2 services. If there is only one service lateral from the power company then there is one service even if you have 6 meters.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,665 Posts
As Pete stated it is a common misconception that 2 meters means 2 services. If there is only one service lateral from the power company then there is one service even if you have 6 meters.
It is common practice for us to have more than one service lateral on the side of a building...

Only restraint is meters must be in the same location..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.