Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help understanding the types of bx I see on shelves metal clad Mc lite and so on are these a for separate applications. .I feel the sheilding Is much stronger on Mc lite then metal clad..reason being Is I'm getting my kitchen redone n I see the electrician using metal clad is this wrong? What is the best type of bx for a kitchen?

Any advice would be great

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Need help understanding the types of bx I see on shelves metal clad Mc lite and so on are these a for separate applications. .I feel the sheilding Is much stronger on Mc lite then metal clad..reason being Is I'm getting my kitchen redone n I see the electrician using metal clad is this wrong? What is the best type of bx for a kitchen?

Romex is best for a kitchen.

But if you want to use MC cable you can, but do not have too.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts

BX is short for Bronx, where the older vintage metal clad w/cloth wiring was manufactured Eagle.

Go here for a more detailed explanation.....

~CS~

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
3/4 rmc with a 3" concrete overlay , RHW conductors and cast FS boxes is what you want.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The OP has a history of asking HO type questions and has already had a thread locked due to the questions/comments. Methinks we are dealing with a troll, a trunkslammer or a home owner, definitely not an apprentice or experienced sparky. As far as the differences in wire, google is your friend.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
837 Posts
Hire an electrician. IBTL. :laughing:

·
Registered
656 Posts
BX is short for Bronx
Not according to this:

Armored cable was first listed with Underwriters Laboratories Inc. in 1899 for the Sprague Electric Co. of New York. It was originally called “Greenfield Flexible Steel-Armored Conductors,” after one of its inventors, Harry Greenfield. Some will refer to this cable as Greenfield cable. Armored cable (AC) first appears in the 1903 NEC.

There were originally two initial versions of armored cable. One was called “AX” and the other “BX,” with the “X” standing for “experimental.” The “BX” version became the one that eventually was produced, and hence the name “BX” became the common name. BX became the registered trade name of AC Cable distributed by General Electric who had acquired Sprague Electric.

http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com/BX+Cables+on+exterior+installations

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.