Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run across this a few times where home inspection reports point out that wiring outside needs to be in conduit, the latest report points out two locations. The first is a run along the outside of the house where 10/2 UF is strapped to PVC conduit and runs about 20 ft then into the disconnect for the A/C. The UF is listed as sunlight resistent but the home inspection report says by code it needs to be in conduit. It isnt subject to physical damage in its location and my impression was it doesnt need to be. The second location is a porch with and A-frame ceiling, the UF comes out through the rafter on the house about 10' above the patio and enters a four inch round weather proof box that has a ceiling fan attatched. Im not sure if i am still correct that this is fine or have they changed the permissions for UF? Thanks

·
Registered
Electrician
3,571 Posts
It's not like the pvc will offer much protection anyway.

·
Premium Member
19,640 Posts
I've run across this a few times where home inspection reports point out that wiring outside needs to be in conduit, the latest report points out two locations. The first is a run along the outside of the house where 10/2 UF is strapped to PVC conduit and runs about 20 ft then into the disconnect for the A/C. The UF is listed as sunlight resistent but the home inspection report says by code it needs to be in conduit. It isnt subject to physical damage in its location and my impression was it doesnt need to be. The second location is a porch with and A-frame ceiling, the UF comes out through the rafter on the house about 10' above the patio and enters a four inch round weather proof box that has a ceiling fan attatched. Im not sure if i am still correct that this is fine or have they changed the permissions for UF? Thanks
For me, a well written inspection will be more of a flag waiver than someone with enough expertice to make a code compliance call.
Something like, UF cable installed exposed on exterior. This method is not normally used for this type of installation, please have the installation professionally evaluated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What exactly is going to damage it? Some rogue maniac walking down the street with an axe? :rolleyes:
My point too, it's all landscaping along the side of the house, i hate the physical damage part because a tree falling would physically damage a line. My main concern was is UF suitable for this application, i.e. run along the side to the a/c disconnect, home inspectors seem to not check on the type of wire they just see a wire exposed and say put it in conduit and since its on the inspection report it becomes an issue with buyers/sellers as too who is correct, for some reason home inspectors are thought to be experts. Would i run it this way? No, and i don't want to charge for fixing something that a home inspectors opinion. :no:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UF running along side a house at AC height is subject to physical damage. The HI is right on.

That doesn't make him any less clueless though.
If he didnt point out the UF feeding the ceiling fan on the rear porch needing conduit too i'd believe he was referring to possible physical damage, but me thinks he just saw wire and said "CONDUIT"

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Professional Electrician mactip of the day. Given enough time and sunlight exposure the insulation on the uf cable will rot right off that wire. Seems like about twenty - twenty five years is the magic number. Lasts indefinitely when direct buried though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think the fact that it runs along the side of the house for a long distance is more likely to set off red flags, seems more like a hack. He'd probably be less likely to comment on it if it just popped out of the ground right at the unit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.