Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I looked through some of the older threads. And didn't find what I was looking for.
I'm on site at a commercial building.
They are building an addition. All steel building.
There is an existing service to remain. The existing gec will remain.
The footing were inspected yesterday, and they called us to bond them . Inspector said just pit 20' #4 in the footing and clamp it....
This seems pointless!
My interpretation of this is to bind the new footing to the existing system.
My solution was to run my #4 in the footing. And leave a tail to car weld to the corner column.
There are no new electrical panels going in this addition. Just a few branch circuits.
How bad am I off base here?

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
It is pointless. He is misinterpreting a code so it is harder to argue with him than if he was pulling it out of thun air. I would probably just do it then try to explain why it is unneccary. I find people are easier to deal with if you soothe thier control issues first.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I left a 20' piece in the footing. With a tail long enough to reach the column . We can car weld it after its installed.
I used a rebar clamp. And tie wire every couple of feet.
Imo this does nothing electrically.
It's for.show.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
It is pointless. He is misinterpreting a code so it is harder to argue with him than if he was pulling it out of thun air. I would probably just do it then try to explain why it is unneccary. I find people are easier to deal with if you soothe thier control issues first.

Even if it costs you thousands of dollars to do?

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
i would bond the new steel to the GEC, but yeah, why a ufer if it's the "same structure".

·
Super Moderator
22,033 Posts
Ok I looked through some of the older threads. And didn't find what I was looking for.
I'm on site at a commercial building.
They are building an addition. All steel building.
There is an existing service to remain. The existing gec will remain.
The footing were inspected yesterday, and they called us to bond them . Inspector said just pit 20' #4 in the footing and clamp it....
This seems pointless!
My interpretation of this is to bind the new footing to the existing system.
My solution was to run my #4 in the footing. And leave a tail to car weld to the corner column.
There are no new electrical panels going in this addition. Just a few branch circuits.
How bad am I off base here?
First off you are not bonding the footing. The footing would be used as an electrode but I do see where this is necessary if there isn't rebar in the footing.

Since it is existing, IMO there is no reason to use the footer for an electrode unless you are doing service work. The rebar or 20' of #4 in the footer needs to go back to the service--

It is hard to know what you really mean.

Is there rebar in the footer. Does the inspector want 20' #4 attached to the rebar and left in the concrete?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
If the new ironwork is "Bolted,riveted or welded" to the old ironwork, which is properly bonded at the SE, I can't see where anything else is required on your part.

It seems more of a business decision on your part, rather than a technical issue.

If the inspector has been a constant PIA, it may be time to show your fangs.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I've never been in the position to deal with inspectors on commercial/industrial sites. Isn't the engineer's signature on the plans sufficient for the AHJ?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I've never been in the position to deal with inspectors on commercial/industrial sites. Isn't the engineer's signature on the plans sufficient for the AHJ?
Most of the time a EE PE stamp is all that's required. And on most industrial jobs nothing was ever inspected by an AHJ.

But, on a job with 300 electricians in NC we even set up an air conditioned office ,with furniture and phone/data etc,, on-site for the inspector(s), who never used it.

I walked the electrical inspector around a few times but only a few minor corrections were ever found on the $450M year long project.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes there is rebar in the new footings. I ran a piece of #4 bonded it to the rebar, with a clamp designed for rebar. And left a tail long enough to cadweld to the steel work.
As others have said . The building service is already grounded. And the new portion of the building will be bolted to the old.
So imo , what I did was not necessary.
Our shop is not involved with this project other than, the call from the g.c. yesterday. Saying they were pouring today.
And the footing inspector told them to have this done. I have had no interaction with the inspector.
I don't know if it was a building inspector, wiring inspector. I don't really care. I'm just the grunt for this.
But I was reading the NEC. And it seems all the pertinent articles applied to new buildings, or buildings using the footing as part of their grounding. Neither of which was my case.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Our shop is not involved with this project other than, the call from the g.c. yesterday. Saying they were pouring today.
And the footing inspector told them to have this done. .
That's no time to really refer anyone in a Ufer direction Nac....~CS~

1 - 20 of 33 Posts