Electrician Talk banner

Ugly safety stories

4065 56
I was talking to a tinbasher yesterday. He worked with a guy who jumped off a scissor lift. His wedding ring got caught in the cross bar and ripped all the skin and meat off his finger. It had to be amputated.

I had a customer who used to be a carpenter. He was working in an elevator shaft when a guy fell from above. He hit the carpenter on the way down and then continued to fall to his death. The carpenter鈥檚 injuries forced him to quit the trade.

Sometimes you need to hear ugly stories to remind yourself to stay safe. As I grow older, I have become almost robotic and am always looking to see what鈥檚 going on around me. Stay safe, guys. I like you. All of you. 馃槉
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
My brother and I worked for Davis Electric (circa 1973). He was a bit of a hot head. We were on top of scaffolding hanging lights in a warehouse. We would just pull ourselves along to the next light by grabbing the steel joists and pull. Leonard kept pulling and jerking with 2 hands while I was pulling with one always keeping one hand on the steel while he was pulling and letting go. I kept trying to tell him to quit pulling so hard and do it slow and smooth.

Well, we start to pull and a wheel gets locked up. Leonard pulled so hard the scaffolding started to tip over. I yelled at him to hold on, we are going down! (I could see the guard rail was no longer parallel with the mortar joints on the block). I watched as he tried to grab the steel and he had his fingertips on it when the guard rail came across the back of his legs and pulled him off. Down to the floor he went (with the scaffolding). I pulled myself up into joists. They had to bring in a box truck and put an extension ladder on to of it to get me down.

Leonard spent a few days in the hospital and never came back. Davis Electric went out of business.

Registered
Leonard spent a few days in the hospital and never came back.
I just reread this and see that it could be understood that Leonard died in the hospital, he did not. He didn't come back to work. (He died a couple years later from an unrelated event).

• Sad
Reactions: Quickservice

Registered
This happened to a friends coworker

they were unloading a job box out of a truck on to ground level with one of those hydraulic tail gate things.
It was raining outside and the deck of the tailgate was metal and slick

the guy was standing on the tailgate, trying to maneuver the job box when he slipped off the tailgate on to the ground, and the job box followed, falling on him, destroying his leg. He wont be walking normally again.

a hack contractor that sometimes has us weld up stuff for him was in a plant with a canning line that had some sort of hydraulic robot picker. They turned the line off and his helper went to grab something under the robot picker. The arm suddenly dropped down, hitting him in the back of the head/neck, killing him. Somehow that guy is still doing work for that customer.

Registered
This happened to a friends coworker

they were unloading a job box out of a truck on to ground level with one of those hydraulic tail gate things.
It was raining outside and the deck of the tailgate was metal and slick

the guy was standing on the tailgate, trying to maneuver the job box when he slipped off the tailgate on to the ground, and the job box followed, falling on him, destroying his leg. He wont be walking normally again.

a hack contractor that sometimes has us weld up stuff for him was in a plant with a canning line that had some sort of hydraulic robot picker. They turned the line off and his helper went to grab something under the robot picker. The arm suddenly dropped down, hitting him in the back of the head/neck, killing him. Somehow that guy is still doing work for that customer.
That鈥檚 why we worked under the heading 鈥渮ero energy potential鈥.

Registered
That鈥檚 why we worked under the heading 鈥渮ero energy potential鈥.
That's a great term. Did you pick that up from OJT or in a school or book somewhere?

Reactions: John Valdes

Registered
Electrical Contractor
Before my time. Bucket truck driver working with my Dad noticed a small weeping leak on one of the hoses. Grabbed the hose to twist it for a better look. Hose burst forcing hydraulic oil into his hand. Lost his hand.

Registered
2 journeymen were pulling wire for parking lot lights. the fishtape kept on curling out of the stub of pvc in the concrete base and hitting the base plate of the post instead of going up the pole to the access panel.

Foreman was getting pissed off that 2 journeymen were taking so long to fish this one pole, so he grabs a flat head screw driver to try to hook the fishtape to get it to go up the pole.
his eyes were in line with the gap between the concrete and the pole base, his screwdriver slipped and he stabbed himself in the eye, losing most of the vision.
He had just come back from firefighter training, which was his ultimate career goal, and had to give it up because of the loss of sight.

Registered
last one,

we were pulling wire through core line that went into some concrete benches. we got the fishtape into the bench after much swearing. the end of the steel fishtape was out about 6 inches, so the other guy grabbed his linesman to pull the fishtape out further. His pliers slipped, and his hand caught the loop on the fishtape. the loop had a nice sharp end that was exposed, and it tore his hand open, split the fleshy part by the thumb wide open. A ton of blood, and muscle tissue and yellow fat hanging out. He passed out and we ended up calling an ambulance.

Registered
They used to cut up underground steel fuel tanks that were removed so they could clean them and take them to the recycler. One worker got lazy and didn't follow protocol, he cut into an empty gas tank with a torch. Well the end blew off and slammed the guy under a backhoe. He later died in the hospital.

Follow safety protocols! Don't think you know more than the people that wrote them.

Electrical Contractor
My brother and I worked for Davis Electric (circa 1973). He was a bit of a hot head. We were on top of scaffolding hanging lights in a warehouse. We would just pull ourselves along to the next light by grabbing the steel joists and pull. Leonard kept pulling and jerking with 2 hands while I was pulling with one always keeping one hand on the steel while he was pulling and letting go. I kept trying to tell him to quit pulling so hard and do it slow and smooth.

Well, we start to pull and a wheel gets locked up. Leonard pulled so hard the scaffolding started to tip over. I yelled at him to hold on, we are going down! (I could see the guard rail was no longer parallel with the mortar joints on the block). I watched as he tried to grab the steel and he had his fingertips on it when the guard rail came across the back of his legs and pulled him off. Down to the floor he went (with the scaffolding). I pulled myself up into joists. They had to bring in a box truck and put an extension ladder on to of it to get me down.

Leonard spent a few days in the hospital and never came back. Davis Electric went out of business.
A similar thing happened to a pair of acoustic ceiling guys.
Two guys on the floor were pushing the scaffold when the top section caught a dropped beam (industrial building). The wheels were not secured to the scaffold, so when it lifted up, 2 wheels fell off.
Same result, 4 sections high came crashing down. They didn't die but i dont know what the long term injuries were as a few days later I took over another project out of town.
I do know that the refinery safety guys were all over everything with a fine tooth comb.
Our scaffolding passes with flying colours as our bosses were really into safety. ( over 40 years ago)

Registered
Industrial Electrician, Class A
That's a great term. Did you pick that up from OJT or in a school or book somewhere?
Per OSHA Lockout Tagout regulation (1910.147), any process or facility equipment that has multiple energy sources require Lockout Tagout procedures. Under the regulation, the equipment is required to be brought to a zero energy state.

Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
Late 70's, an apprentice at the time.

Working on the core of a six story office building, no outside walls or glass, just a single cable about 3 feet above the floor.

Stopped to take our afternoon break from hanging a buss duct riser.

Sitting on a pile of sheetrock, we saw a frame for the elevator being lifted to the sixth floor, didn't think much about it.

We saw something go by, going down, we looked at each other and someone said "Was that what I thought it was?"

Walked to the edge of the building and looked down.

There was one of the elevator guys laying across a pile of 4 x 4's.

His foot was above his head, body twisted over the pile of wood.

Story was, the cherry picker could not lift the frame above the sixth floor.

The elevator guys had to reach out, grab the frame, lift it a few inches, and then pull it on to the floor as the cherry picker let out slack.

Wide leather watch bands with rivots were popular during that time.

The frame got away from them, snagged the guys watch band and pulled him off the building.

Ambulance showed up pretty quick, but as they loaded him into the ambulance, it appeared we watched him take his last breath.

They shut the job down and sent everyone home.

We had to stay and finish installing the piece of buss duct we had been working on.

It was hanging by chain falls and they didn't want us to leave it that way..

A normally busy and noisy construction job was totally silent.

Very eerie.

Didn鈥檛 dwell on it much, until a few days later.

The guy's family showed up to see where he died.

His Mom, his Dad, and his obviously pregnant wife carrying a two year old.

That will get you to thinking.

Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
Had a real close call installing the main switch gear on a 20 story building.

Journeyman and I, along with several others, we're setting the switch gear.

Once we had all the sections in place, the others went off to do other things, he and I began installing the buss bars that connected the sections together.

The next day we were back inside the gear to bolt more buss in and terminate the wires that had been pulled.

GF came and told us the generator contractor would be here to start the generator around 10AM, but they were not going to allow the transfer switch to operate.

Journeyman goes to the gang box, pulls out a chain and hands the chain and a lock to me.

"Go in there and wrap the chain around the buss and lock it."

Did what I was told.

Took our 9AM break and went back to work.

We saw the trucks the generator guys drove parked near the generator building.

Journeyman said let's go do something else for a little while.

Few minutes later we heard the generator crank up, a few minutes after that, there was a loud obviously electrical boom.

Yep, they had operated the transfer switch and sent power to the switch gear we had been inside a little earlier.

Melted down a section of buss inside the gear, about $100,000 worth.

I looked at my Journeyman and without me asking, he replied, "Son, I've been around long enough to learn , never trust anyone with your life. And remember this, you are more likely to be killed by others mistakes, than by your own".

A wise old electrician, he was.

GF and shop Forman were livid about the damage to the gear.

They and the journeyman went off to discuss he incident, all I could hear was yelling.

Few minutes later my journeyman returned.

Get a chain.

We went to the generator and wrapped the chain around the, now locked, transfer switch, and locked the chain.

Now let's go see what kind of mess THEY made.

Registered
Problem solver
25 years ago, a scrapper was working with a crane, old guy, and his adult son was working with him.
There were overhead primary lines. He had boom up and was crawling backwards when he came in contact with the primary. When his son saw his dad and knew something wrong, he tried to save him and combusted and caught fire. Needless to say both dead. This has happened in open trenches in the city too. Guy goes to save buddy, and catches fire and all dead.

Banned
We arrive at the shop in the morning as usual I鈥檓 the first one. I look at who is going to be doing what and who is on who鈥檚 crew because this changes from day to day. I noticed that JD is working with P.

Now P is an odd fellow, he鈥檚 not a journeyman, he鈥檚 not an apprentice, he just showed up at our shop and did some work out in the yard, and brought with him a couple of trucks and a couple of vans. It was clear to me that P was an out of work electrical contractor, but it turns out he was an out of work data contractor who is going for his electricians license.

I found out later, he had been working as an electrical contractor utilizing the license of someone else for money, but because he wasn鈥檛 paying the money or some other reason similar to that he no longer could bid on or do electrical work. But he had electrical work to do, and needed a license and made some kind of an arrangement with my company owner to do it through his but I suppose only under the supervision of my company owner.

Now this is a very odd and precarious arrangement for a union shop to be taking but the owner of my shop did a lot of things shall we say 鈥渙utside the box鈥. He like to push the envelope. He had been a nonunion contractor before he joined Local 3, and did many many scummy things, and all many of his prior employees were now Local 3 members organized into the union through his shop, sans having gone through an apprenticeship program and proper training certified in official.

At any rate, JD I had worked with at two other shops prior to this place and was a bit of a devil May care kind a guy. He wasn鈥檛 a stickler for the rules and the boss Knew it. When JD showed up and saw that he鈥檇 be going out on a boom truck with P, to deliver and set two pieces of switchgear that were already on the boom truck, he, knowing we were all good Local 3 union men, pretended to pitch a fit about I鈥檓 not letting P lay a hand on this stuff I鈥檓 going to have to do it all while he watches.

I pulled JD a side and told him in no uncertain terms seeing as the switchgear was labeled on the top of each piece forklift only do not boom, that we鈥檙e he to get hurt he鈥檚 going to have a very big problem. He brushed it off, and brushed me off.

JD and P鈥榮 job was in Queens, mine was in the Bronx some 5 miles away right up the same highway. By 9:30 in the morning my phone was blowing up with text messages, voicemails and phone calls coming in. Although they tried to inform me first it turns out I was the last to know. Apparently P had convinced JD that he can operate the boom truck controls without setting foot on the property and therefore he鈥檚 not doing electrical work. The scam schemes and go around鈥榮 in logic stream that these nonunion scabs use it or not to be believed. I found out later that JD was also told don鈥檛 worry about it it鈥檒l be an easy day once we get the set we鈥檙e done and we can go home . (or at least JD could go home. P would go back to the shop and suck up to the boss which is what he did most of the time)

apparently while booming one piece of switchgear off the truck and setting it onto a sloped ground area, parentheses I don鈥檛 know what they were doing it wasn鈥檛 even going onto a dolly it was going on to lawn and dirt) JD was under the switchgear when one of the slings gave way in the switchgear chip precariously on a 45掳 angle out of the homemade swing net that they created by weaving multiple slings together. There were no ratchet straps, there were no safety chains, there was no come along. Honestly I don鈥檛 know what their plan was from that point.

As JG ducked down and moved away from everything to keep clear of what looks like it鈥檚 going to become a disaster, he waited roughly 10 feet away from the dangling switchgear, but downhill from it. He apparently jumped off the truck to go assess the situation and try and formulate a Plan B. Before he could get to the location though, The switchgear completely dropped out of the sling and rolled over twice the second time crushing JD鈥檚 leg and ankle.

In the end, JD had to retire from the local on a disability pension. He was just in the midst of fixing his house After it was nearly destroyed by hurricane Sandy. Putting the final touches on it.

A couple of weeks after this incident P approached me and told me that we were going to be working together on something. I told him absolutely not in no uncertain terms may you do anything of the sort you鈥檙e not a Local 3 member go **** yourself, we all know what happened to JG you鈥檙e not gonna do the same thing to me. I know your act I know your style I know you鈥檙e a scab I know you鈥檙e a scummy worker, I know you have no clue what you鈥檙e doing, I know that you think speed trans knowledge and experience and skill which is why you refused to pay any of your employees anything especially not prevailing rate after you bid on a job and could not do the job because you refused to pay your employees prevailing rate if you found out you would have to, because you knew that if you ever did pay them prevailing rate they would wonder why you only pay them upwards to $14 an hour tops every other job you鈥檝e ever been on.

Then he tells me while you have to work with me I鈥檓 allowed to work in this local because I am part owner of this shop. I said that鈥檚 fine P, those are the rules however seeing as you are a part owner of the shop as you say parentheses which I know he鈥檚 full of ****) then Local 3 has given you and printed you up an owners card let me see it now. He reeled back from me and discussed to which I just said to him now go F yourself P and don鈥檛 ever lie to me again because I鈥檓 not one of your little scabby nonunion employees. And I鈥檓 not falling for your line of crap that ass doesn鈥檛 fly around here. You caught JD at a weak moment in his life otherwise he would鈥檝e never agreed to have you sit in a truck next to him to go out and do a job . And now the man is crippled for life and can never work again in the electrical industry. But you don鈥檛 care do you pay because you think the whole world revolves around you and your quest for wealth and money.

Some 6 to 8 weeks later a text message was sent, a mass text message against amongst all of the employees of the shop, it was P resignation address , which sounded like he was going to commit suicide. He moved back to Guyana.

Registered
Sub transient reactance X鈥漝 worshiper.
Also be aware of the simple things.

being in a OSHA investigation on a site that the worker rolled his ankle on a stone. The way he fell caused his wrist to break.

so broken wrist and torn ligaments and tendons in ankle. WCB did not believe that those injuries could be caused by a rock.

there was only one witness, me I was beside him.

OSHA straightened them out.

Registered
Problem solver
Now this is a very odd and precarious arrangement for a union shop to be taking but the owner of my shop did a lot of things shall we say 鈥渙utside the box鈥. He like to push the envelope. He had been a nonunion contractor before he joined Local 3, and did many many scummy things, and all many of his prior employees were now Local 3 members organized into the union through his shop, sans having gone through an apprenticeship program and proper training certified in official.

The scam schemes and go around鈥榮 in logic stream that these nonunion scabs use it or not to be believed.

your style I know you鈥檙e a scab I know you鈥檙e a scummy worker,
I was in a union many moons ago. And your statement in first paragraph is the norm IMO. I get the BS term 'scab'. I'm offended. I'm non union, went through an apprenticeship. Best electricians I know are non union. I have worked with MANY Union electricians. Most of them there attitude ****ing sucks. They treat their apprentices like ****. Poor work ethic. Lazy. Don't give a **** about the customer. In the 50's unions perhaps were needed. We are a long way from the 50's. Unions are about intimidation and the ones in my area are ALL CORRUPT. So take your scab term, and stick it up your ass.

If you don't want me to lump all the union workers into the same category...don't do it for Non union workers. We are people who work for a living like others. We have integrity and training. There is scum in all walks of life.
All a union does is charge there workers for promises they don't keep and to line there pockets.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts