Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
3,261 Posts
Could you put a new meter main on the right side of the window with a PVC mast to the peak, and put the new load center inside? After the inspection the switch over to the old Romex runs should go pretty smoothly.
Love them or not, the GE Powermark Gold load centers with the galvanized tub last a good little while.
That basement looks like most houses from the 40’s-50’s around here. Tell them to put on their Muck boots and quit whining.

·
Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
824 Posts
Any time I got a job I really didn’t want to do I jacked the price up.
Any where from 30 to 50% above my going rate.
Don't know if I was the only one bidding on the job or other bids were higher.
Most of the time I ended up with the job anyway.
Oh, well I'll take their money.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,726 Posts
CHARGE LARGE. And here it is 20 feet from gas meters or tanks, but that's the gas company rules not electrical or poco.

·
Registered
471 Posts
That's your average farmhouse basement around WNY. Offer them a price on the service upgrade and a price to separate (rewire) circuits after the service is released to Poco by the AHJ. Neither the Poco or AHJ will give two shits about the branch circuits on this permit, just the service entrance.

If you're really that concerned, contact Nat grid and ask the project planner they assign where they want the riser and meter. Then contact AHJ to ask about the interior sub location. Build it how they want it. I can tell you right now I'd do a riser and meter main 3' to the right of that window, and feed the basement sub with SER. There's more than enough slack in the branch circuit wiring to relocate the interior panel a few feet to the right if you needed to.

Despite the older home and stone basement, this should be a routine job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just charge them what you think it’s worth to do the job ... they take it great! If they don’t, great! You’re a qualified electrician aren’t you? A leader correct? Let’s go. Cut the power, get some lights going, crank the tunes, and get to work! Everything YOU do make it code compliant, then anything environmentally that could damage anything in the future is the HOME OWNERS problem ... especially if it’s in writing. You got this bro, if your guys complain .... take them to the bar after. Cheers 🍻

·
Hackenschmidt
13,202 Posts
What do you mean by pressured? Who's the boss of you?

Why are they doing the service upgrade?

I would have about zero problem or hesitation requiring that they install a sump pump for that basement first. This being a job you don't really want anyway. At worst it would get them to stop pressuring you. It wouldn't be expensive, and it would be money well spent. You could do it yourself if licensing permits, sub it out, or just tell them they have to have it done by others (this is what I'd do).

To do the actual work - could you run SER to a meter-main in a better spot, then remove the main bond and separate the neutrals and EGCs in the existing panel? I would much rather have the first means of disconnect in a place that doesn't flood. Does that homeowner want to have to poke around down there if they have to get to that main? You could do the basement work while the service is disconnected. I don't know if they are adding a car charger, mini split, or what, but you could probably work that into the design easy enough.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
That's your average farmhouse basement around WNY. Offer them a price on the service upgrade and a price to separate (rewire) circuits after the service is released to Poco by the AHJ. Neither the Poco or AHJ will give two shits about the branch circuits on this permit, just the service entrance.

If you're really that concerned, contact Nat grid and ask the project planner they assign where they want the riser and meter. Then contact AHJ to ask about the interior sub location. Build it how they want it. I can tell you right now I'd do a riser and meter main 3' to the right of that window, and feed the basement sub with SER. There's more than enough slack in the branch circuit wiring to relocate the interior panel a few feet to the right if you needed to.

Despite the older home and stone basement, this should be a routine job.
Thanks.
This actually seems about right. I contacted the inspector, and we're on the same page. Now for the pricing. :)

And for all the other wise men out there ... I've done a ton of resi over the years, enough to know that I don't have to take on PITA jobs, at any price, if I don't want to. The PITA ones I usually regret later on, when they go off the rails, and the regret is only sometimes a matter of money. Some jobs just aren't worth the hassle, and part of my job these days is to spot those ahead of time.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
LOL might as well just quit now
Disagree. I generally don't work in houses with aluminum branch circuits, either. Same reason.
There's plenty of other work around, and plenty of "competitors" who are ... insufficiently aware ... of liability risks.
In fact, I love guys like that... their only and best argument for why someone should hire them is usually "I'm cheaper."

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
8,653 Posts
House that age will FOR SURE have mixed up neutrals or worse, remnants of K&T with a single neutral strung to every circuit in the ceiling on the main floor (under second floor).

Let them know (verbally AND in writing) there could be a lot of non working circuits after the panel change with AFCIs (unless you choose AFCI breakers without the GFP), and those will be extras if they want them fixed.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts