Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"A" Inside Wireman LU 134
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to control under cabinet led lighting with a dimmer. Led lights are in strip form and connect to power via cord and plug. I have been told I cannot use a dimmer to control a receptacle. Is this true? I would like to use a single receptacle so nothing else can be plugged in to the dimmer controlled receptacle. I've never heard that but you learn something new every day. The fixture is UL listed for use with a dimmer. If I cut the cord end and hard wire, I ruin the UL rating. Any thoughts? NEC Code reference?

Thanks.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
No its not legal to dim a receptacle. Why in the world would you buy led lights that are cord connected. That's gonna look horrible . That's certainly not professional work.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,238 Posts
No its not legal to dim a receptacle. Why in the world would you buy led lights that are cord connected. That's gonna look horrible . That's certainly not professional work.
Where is it written that he bought them? Maybe they're existing.

The UC fixtures I use have a plug-in driver or hard wire driver available. The plug-in driver is a third of the cost. I make the plug-in driver work. I'm not only a hack, I'm a cheap hack.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Not all LEDs are compatible with dimmers. The LEDs that are compatible require an LED specific dimmer. Even these dimer/LED combinations do not usually allow infinite output adjustments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts