Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They want an outlet in the middle of the floor. It's a condo with concrete floors, so no cutting. They are going to put in hardwood floors.

I was thinking under carpet (flat cable) from an existing rec. to the new location. Not sure if it's cost effective. The run is only about 10' and it's for a table lamp.

Any other ideas?

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
If they are installing a true hardwood floor and not an engineered floor (glued down or floating) then they will have to install some sort of subfloor to nail the hardwood strips to. You could probably sneak an MC between the sleepers.

If it is an engineered hardwood that glues direct to the concrete then I'm completely out of ideas.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
They want an outlet in the middle of the floor. It's a condo with concrete floors, so no cutting. They are going to put in hardwood floors.

I was thinking under carpet (flat cable) from an existing rec. to the new location. Not sure if it's cost effective. The run is only about 10' and it's for a table lamp.

Any other ideas?
Install 3/4 hardwood flooring, have the carpenter router out a groove on the under side of wood. Install armoured cable and a wiremold floor monument. I don't like the idea of FCC cable under a hardwood floor...usually in condos they require the use of some kind of sound deadening material between slab and floor, that might buy you an extra 1/4 inch.

·
Premium Member
20,109 Posts

Any other ideas?
No way,
It's only for carpet squares. I have done these and just chipped out a channel in the floor and used EMT.
It's no big deal and you can do 10 or more feet in an hour with no problem.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
big vic said:
Flat conductor cable is restricted to use under carpet squares in commercial facilities only
That makes sense. Thanks. Although I've done it, it was in a commercial building under carpet. That rules that out. I may have to call the installers to see if they can cut a groove for 12/2 MC.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jrannis said:
No way, It's only for carpet squares. I have done these and just chipped out a channel in the floor and used EMT. It's no big deal and you can do 10 or more feet in an hour with no problem.
This is a 15 story condo. I'm not cutting any concrete w/o engineered approval.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
This is a 15 story condo. I'm not cutting any concrete w/o engineered approval.
Chip a groove in the concrete. I wouldn't think twice about it...as I highly doubt that the floor is anyway structural in a 15 story building.

Just my opinion but don't do anything you aren't comfortable with.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
in a suspended slab, cutting a groove could detrimentally affect the structure. tradesman should never consider channeling a groove like that without consulting the building engineer on record or approved plans.

·
Estwing magic
27,575 Posts
in a suspended slab, cutting a groove could detrimentally affect the structure. tradesman should never consider channeling a groove like that without consulting the building engineer on record or approved plans.
That's what I would tell the customer. Another thing to consider is that a trench in the subfloor will eventually telegraph to the surface of the engineered flooring unless the trench is properly filled and leveled.

This is one instance where I would discourage the customer.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I did it in a condo last year for an island outlet . Just took my grinder with diamond blade and made two angles cuts almost forming a triangle , slipped in some pvc and skimmed over it with concrete patch . The floor was 10 inches thick with steel plating underneath. The ceilings in the units were dropped 3-4 feet from ceiling and sheetrocked so no chance if cracking in my situation , but yours could be different . Good luck

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.