Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call out tonight for a failed underground primary line serving a residential single phase service. In my area the property owner owns and is responsible for maintenance to the line. The POCO determined that there is a fault in the cable. How can I test/trace the cable to determine where the break is. I own the same underground locating equipment as dig safe if that will help? Thanks

·
Can't Remember
11,145 Posts
You might get lucky if its open enough to the earth to make make contact with it and allow the use of a regular fault locator, but the design of the cable most likely will require a tdr/thumper.

·
Can't Remember
11,145 Posts
I'll take on the burned secondary but not a primary. I wouldn't know where to get the materials to fix it, or how to splice it properly. There are plenty of private line companies here that I think I would farm that out to.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
I agree with renting a thumper to find the fault. Honestly, since you're most likely gonna have to sub out the stress cones and whatnot anyway, I'd get in touch with a distribution contractor in your area and let them do the locates and repair.

Is this an industrial complex? Never heard of any resi. or commecial who owns their primary. But I definitely wanna see that thread on the DIY board:
"HELP PLS! Need 2 replace 15,000 voltage fuse!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.