Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at vacant land to buy in a small development in a very rural area. The development has underground electric service. I'm trying to get an idea of how much it will cost me to get electric to my lot. I don't know exactly how they do this. Do they find the closest pad mounted transformer on another lot and tap off of that? or a jbox? So they would have to trench across neighboring lots to get to mine?

Or do they dig up the street directly in front of my lot and tap and set a transformer on my lot?

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Ask them. I suspect they will not cross someone else's property. Underground here they service several houses with a transformer. It sits on their lamd and a drop is brought to the edge of each lot (a splice pit).

Typically the property owners share the cost of this.

I have no idea how you guys do it tho. Maybe the developer has already paid for services?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Google Earth ... you could ask the Poco what their set up is (available).

They have documents, they know where all their power is... or at a main intersections you might spot a pole with letters and the K Valve on it.

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
Here, in UG develpoments the 1st 10' of your property is the utility's ROW and that's where the infrastructure is buried, not under the street. They can trench to the nearest tub from your property line across anyone's front yard, and "restoration" consists only of regrading and reseeding with grass. If you're looking at a developed lot, there's probably a tub at every other property line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.