Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
HTTR
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would overloading a Generac 8kw cause an undervoltage 1902 alarm and shutdown

or would the main ckt breaker on the genny just trip?

·
HTTR
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I don't have a manometer, we don't service generacs either

we did a 8kw with the essential ckt switch and the service guy said we shouldn't have put the water heater on the gen (he said it uses too much on startup)

with the 10 ckt switch we just transferred like ckts from the main panel

I think it was 1- 2pole 30, 1- 2pole 20, 3 each 1pole 15's and 20's

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
I watched a 10kw that was out of balance, 33 amps on one leg, slow down and die. Fixed the imbalance and all was well. I wouldn't have put the water heater on there either. 11kw isn't much more money. Put a load shed module on the water heater and life is good.

·
HTTR
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I watched a 10kw that was out of balance, 33 amps on one leg, slow down and die. Fixed the imbalance and all was well. I wouldn't have put the water heater on there either. 11kw isn't much more money. Put a load shed module on the water heater and life is good.
you can shed load using the 10 ckt essential load transfer switch?

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
Knowing that I had an electric water heater to run, but needed to keep things relatively cheap, I would have chosen the non service entrance rated switch, small subpanel and had load shedding. Water heater is a great candidate for it. Soon independent load shed modules that you can use without the need for the board in the switch will be available. Next month supposedly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts