Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some unemployed Machinists thought it would be a good idea to organize for the sake of having a collective voice for out of work folks.

Maybe people like this would be a good resource for those in decision making areas of our government.

At least they are not sitting home feeling sorry for themselves.
Sad to know that our generation may never see manufacturing come back to our country. The reasons really do not matter at this point.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/145...their_own_union,_and_it's_catching_on_quickly

·
el abogado del diablo
1,523 Posts
nah, they are just in solidarity with the Unemployed Electricians Union...otherwise known as 1/3 of the IBEW...

sorry guys...it was a softball and I just couldn't not hit it:D

·
Registered
310 Posts
As opposed to going out and looking for a job?

So, would employed machinists be considered rats? :whistling2:

Well without knowing where these people are located... how could they go out and find a job if there are no jobs to be found. Yea yea yea... I know what everyone is thinking... "flip burgers if you have to"... easier said than done.

The purpose of this "union" is for :

"The idea is that if millions of jobless join together and act as an organization, they are more likely to get Congress and the White House to provide the jobs that are urgently needed. They can also apply pressure for health insurance coverage, unemployment insurance and COBRA benefits and food stamps. An unemployed worker is virtually helpless if he or she has to act alone."

What an idea... huh? Let Americans help Americans. Who would have thought of such a thing?

Seems that some people blame this politician or that politician for wasting money on others such as; immigrants, other countries, etc..., and they still complain when Americans ask for help.

·
el abogado del diablo
1,523 Posts
Except for one small flaw - the white house and congress can't 'create' jobs. They can funf jobs, through taxes, but they can't create jobs. They can't create demand.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Well without knowing where these people are located... how could they go out and find a job if there are no jobs to be found. Yea yea yea... I know what everyone is thinking... "flip burgers if you have to"... easier said than done............
How about getting trained for another vocation? Or is that too degrading? "I'm a machinist, dammit! I'm not gonna do anything else!"

Is there work elsewhere in the country? Or is moving automatically out of the question? "I was a machinist at that closed-up factory.... someone needs to buy it, open it, and hire me!"

If there a simply, absolutely no jobs at all, what are all those little boxes in the newspaper every under "Help Wanted" doing there?

When an animal in the wild suddenly finds no food available, it has three choices........ migrate, adapt, or die.

........"The idea is that if millions of jobless join together and act as an organization, they are more likely to get Congress and the White House to provide the jobs that are urgently needed. They can also apply pressure for health insurance coverage, unemployment insurance and COBRA benefits and food stamps. An unemployed worker is virtually helpless if he or she has to act alone.".......
What about the existing Union itself? You know, the one they joined when they got into the trade? Are they not going to help? Are they just turning their backs on these people? Are they just saying, "Sorry, you can't pay your dues anymore, so don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out"?

Or are they now so ineffective that they are no longer useful and another union must be created to take it's place? (Wow, that sure sounded like what would happen in a free market........)

·
Registered
310 Posts
How about getting trained for another vocation? Or is that too degrading? "I'm a machinist, dammit! I'm not gonna do anything else!"

Is there work elsewhere in the country? Or is moving automatically out of the question? "I was a machinist at that closed-up factory.... someone needs to buy it, open it, and hire me!"

If there a simply, absolutely no jobs at all, what are all those little boxes in the newspaper every under "Help Wanted" doing there?

When an animal in the wild suddenly finds no food available, it has three choices........ migrate, adapt, or die.

If a person is trained to work in a particular field is it right to fault him for looking to work in that field? Of course if a plant or factory close they should find work elsewhere. That isn't the point here. The machinist were one trade that was mentioned. This "union" is for ALL that are unemployed. So you're assuming these people are thinking that way without even talking to them.

As for moving... yes that is an option. But is it feasible when you're in your 50's, a kid in college, a house that's almost paid off and so on? It's tough enough to find someone that will hire you when you get older in your own city let alone another.

As for your "little boxes in the newspaper every under "Help Wanted" doing there"? statement. If 100 people are out of work and there are only 5 help wanted ad's... what happens to the other 95 people?

What about the existing Union itself? You know, the one they joined when they got into the trade? Are they not going to help? Are they just turning their backs on these people? Are they just saying, "Sorry, you can't pay your dues anymore, so don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out"?

Or are they now so ineffective that they are no longer useful and another union must be created to take it's place? (Wow, that sure sounded like what would happen in a free market........)

Actually no... of course each union is run differently... but unions do help the unemployed. My union does have my back. My union allows me to collect from a fund when I am out of work. My union allows me to continue with heath benefits long after I've been out of work. My union has been very good to it's members. I'm glad to play my union dues.

·
Registered
964 Posts

I can hardly fathom how insensitive that post is to the plight of the millions of unemployed Americans across this country.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
.......... If 100 people are out of work and there are only 5 help wanted ad's... what happens to the other 95 people? ....

Already answered that one.

Actually no... of course each union is run differently... but unions do help the unemployed. My union does have my back. My union allows me to collect from a fund when I am out of work. My union allows me to continue with heath benefits long after I've been out of work. My union has been very good to it's members. I'm glad to play my union dues.
SO in effect, there are unions out there who have turned their backs on their members? Provide no help, support, etc.?

Then maybe someone should organize a union to go tell that union what for.

·
Registered
310 Posts

Already answered that one.
And you choose to ignore my reply to that answer.

SO in effect, there are unions out there who have turned their backs on their members? Provide no help, support, etc.?

Then maybe someone should organize a union to go tell that union what for.
Not at all. Some unions may not offer ALL the benefits my union offers. Nice play on words to turn it around though... you get a gold star.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I can hardly fathom how insensitive that post is to the plight of the millions of unemployed Americans across this country.
It's anti-union rhetoric. Sorta like how unions and it's members are corrupt, violent, lazy and so on.

People don't always think before they speak. And believe me it does go both ways, union and non-union.

·
Registered
964 Posts
It's anti-union rhetoric. Sorta like how unions and it's members are corrupt, violent, lazy and so on.

Maybe so, but the majority of the unemployed belong to no union at all.

It just blows my mind how out of touch that post seemed.

There are absolutely NO want ads in the paper I get every morning that serves the East Bay area here in Northern CA.

Vocational retraining for a 50 year old construction management employee?

What is he to do? Go back to college for two more years? Serve his internship again? Then be ready for retirement in five years? Move in with his eighty year old parents?

I don't have the answers, but at least these individuals are being proactive IMO.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
We are reaping the rewards of our policies from the 90's. NAFTA. Off shoring jobs. Allowing Mexicans to migrate across the border. Allowing our lumber mills and mines to close. Closing factories so we can get cheap junk made in China. UNLESS we start electing protectionist this country is done as an economic power. Everyone labels candidates such as Kucinich as radicals but they are the only ones that have the countries best interests at heart. The republicans wealthy first policies are a failure for the average American as are the democrats tree hugging, feminazi, left wing policies.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Maybe so, but the majority of the unemployed belong to no union at all.

It just blows my mind how out of touch that post seemed.

There are absolutely NO want ads in the paper I get every morning that serves the East Bay area here in Northern CA.

Vocational retraining for a 50 year old construction management employee?

What is he to do? Go back to college for two more years? Serve his internship again? Then be ready for retirement in five years? Move in with his eighty year old parents?

I don't have the answers, but at least these individuals are being proactive IMO.
I agree with you.

We don't live in the age where we could pack up a wagon and head west and hunt for food and make camp when we're tired anywhere we want. We need permits and licenses... and how do you afford that if you have no job? :laughing:

I'm a firm believer that each person has the ability prosper in this country. But sometimes we as a nation run into a problem through no fault of our own as individuals. Is it really wrong to ask for help?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Jobs aren't that plentiful, I know 2 people that haven't been able to find work in there field. One, an electrician has taken a one job at the dollar tree and one at 7-11 just to try to stay alive after his unemployment ran out.
Well, that's what I'm talking about.

If your chosen profession isn't paying, you need to find something that is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, that's what I'm talking about.

If your chosen profession isn't paying, you need to find something that is.
That's about survival and nothing else... Going from making 50 grand a year to 15 is disaster, plain and simple.

I think its a great idea the unemployed join together to lobby congress to do something to help get the country get going again, and protect those that need protecting.

I also know its is demeaning as hell to work at dollar tree for 7 bucks an hour after getting to a point in you life when you think you are successful. To work all your life and then get dealt a blow like a layoff is rough. The real wake up call to everybody is that you need to be saving a considerable nest egg to get through a downturn.

·
Stand-Up Philosopher
372 Posts
Except for one small flaw - the white house and congress can't 'create' jobs.
Sure, they can. They just can't create jobs that don't have an artificially created crutch under them.

I wonder how many of us have been flooded with a ton of work from all the homeowning road crews that have been tearing up all the streets at random for the past six months? I've been beating these guys off with a stick...not.

·
Registered
310 Posts
That's about survival and nothing else... Going from making 50 grand a year to 15 is disaster, plain and simple.

I think its a great idea the unemployed join together to lobby congress to do something to help get the country get going again, and protect those that need protecting.

I also know its is demeaning as hell to work at dollar tree for 7 bucks an hour after getting to a point in you life when you think you are successful. To work all your life and then get dealt a blow like a layoff is rough. The real wake up call to everybody is that you need to be saving a considerable nest egg to get through a downturn.
A lot of people in this country have this mindset that if you fail it's your fault. Sometimes that isn't the case. Like the situation we are in now. You can hardly blame the workers of America for the failures this is country is going through. But it's easy to lay the blame on an individual and claim they are not doing their part. In reality they have been doing their part but waking up every morning, going to work, paying their bills and taxes and contributing to society. But once they are no longer able to do that it's their fault and only their fault they are no longer working. Of course there are situations where it would be your fault but at these times it isn't that much of the case.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts