Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flushing, NY (June 24, 2014) -
The Joint Industry Board of the Electrical [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Industry[/color][/color], Local Union #3, will conduct a recruitment from July 21, 2014 through August 1, 2014 for 300 electrician apprentices, State Labor Commissioner Peter M. Rivera announced today.

[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Applications[/color][/color] can be obtained by sending a request, via Registered Mail, addressed to: Joint Apprentice Committee, P.O. Box 560249, College Point, NY 11365-0249.

The request letters will be accepted for 10 business days or until 2,000 registered letters have been received, whichever comes first. Registered letters requesting an application must not be postmarked earlier than July 21, 2014.

Letters sent by Certified Mail will not be accepted.

All registered letters postmarked July 21, 2014 will be honored with an application even if the number of letters received exceeds the 2,000 limit.

http://labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/cu...e-24-2014.shtm

Applications
For information regarding Apprentice Recruitment for 2014 and how to obtain an application, please click here

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its not a lottery, they will only hand out the 1st 2000 requests for applications, but if your letter is sent on July 21th via registered mail(don't do certified) you will be guaranteed to get an application.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Yup. And if you mail it early, you're out. And if you mail it late, you're out. And if you mail it standard or certified, you're out.

This has the effect of eliminating applicants who have proven they can't follow simple, explicit instructions.

Reactions: sopranocaponyc

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup. And if you mail it early, you're out. And if you mail it late, you're out. And if you mail it standard or certified, you're out.

This has the effect of eliminating applicants who have proven they can't follow simple, explicit instructions.
I was at the apprentice dept on Friday, and you wouldn't believe how many calls they got asking for directions. not for nothing, but if you can't follow simple directions don't apply. lol

·
Registered
891 Posts
I was at the apprentice dept on Friday, and you wouldn't believe how many calls they got asking for directions. not for nothing, but if you can't follow simple directions don't apply. lol
THAT is how we weed out the applicants. If you can't follow the specific instructions in the letter...then...well...

Next Contestant.

The last time we opened our doors we had just under 20,000 applications submitted for 500 Apprentice positions. I thought it was more but recently asked the question at a training seminar. At any given time we have approximately 1600 - 2000 Apprentices in the Program. So this time around we are expecting even more than last time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can I still get Appication without Social Security number

I was trying to find out when NJATC was going to send out applications. I now know its going to be in the month of September. Upon searching, I noticed the link on this page on how to obtain an application for electrician apprentice indicates that I should include my social security number, but from the department of labor website, it did not say anything about including social security when requesting an application. I sent a request for a application by registered mail on the 21st, and just including my name and address. Now that I've visited this site, I'm now worried I might not receive an application. Why would department of labor not include this information to include your social security number when requesting an application.

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
Call the apprentice department and ask them, they will tell you everything. lol. No you should get one in a few months, with the test to be sometime next year.
All we hear about is how slow the city is, and how so many guys are sitting, and how so many are only working part of the year. WHY are the recruiting???
Do they know something big for next year?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All we hear about is how slow the city is, and how so many guys are sitting, and how so many are only working part of the year. WHY are the recruiting???
Work is picking up we only have about 600(we have 10,000 or so in local union # 3) or so journey people on the bench. We have to recruit every 4-5 years. its what we do. The work is out there, and will be for a while. its a long process from recruiting to apprentices being called to starting work. some will wait 5 years, some less.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Things are very good in the city now SP. There are less than 400 AJ's on the bench as of Friday.

We have an active Apprenticeship and there is a constant stream of cheap labor needed. Also..as with every local...it's about money. If there is no Apprenticeship, there is no money coming in from the State.

Work is picking up we only have about 600(we have 10,000 or so in local union # 3) or so journey people on the bench. We have to recruit every 4-5 years. its what we do. The work is out there, and will be for a while. its a long process from recruiting to apprentices being called to starting work. some will wait 5 years, some less.
We have some huge projects taking off in NYC. From the Hudson Yards, to the numerous Co-Gen Plants, to 7 Train Connection. Local 3's largest contractor (with just under 2000 A Journey-persons) has just been awarded the $800 Million Dollar Flushing Complex as of last week.

In Local Union #3 we have almost 15,000 A Rate Journey-persons. In the entire local...all divisions combined we have approximately 30,000 members.

Our Apprenticeship, as I stated previously, has between 1,600 and 2,000 1st Year through 4th Year students.

I'm not sure why people are thinking it's "slow" in NYC though...the wait for a job is roughly a week to three weeks.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I was trying to find out when NJATC was going to send out applications. I now know its going to be in the month of September. Upon searching, I noticed the link on this page on how to obtain an application for electrician apprentice indicates that I should include my social security number, but from the department of labor website, it did not say anything about including social security when requesting an application. I sent a request for a application by registered mail on the 21st, and just including my name and address. Now that I've visited this site, I'm now worried I might not receive an application. Why would department of labor not include this information to include your social security number when requesting an application.
If you don't have a SS# you will not be accepted into the Apprenticeship.

Did you receive an Application for an Application...or just send in the White Card? On the Card it has a spot for SS#....

·
Registered
891 Posts
Call the apprentice department and ask them, they will tell you everything. lol. No you should get one in a few months, with the test to be sometime next year.
LOL yeah sure...the have nothing better to do than answer the thousands of calls they get a week asking when the applications will be sent out.

When Local 3 "Opens the Doors" as we say..it's a huge project. From sifting through tens of thousands of applications, to checking the Application for errors (which exclude you from moving forward), to making sure the Application Fee goes to the right pile..lol. To see it in action is really amazing...and pretty cool. These old ladies that do this are like machines..they've been doing it for decades.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Things are very good in the city now SP. There are less than 400 AJ's on the bench as of Friday.

We have an active Apprenticeship and there is a constant stream of cheap labor needed. Also..as with every local...it's about money. If there is no Apprenticeship, there is no money coming in from the State.

We have some huge projects taking off in NYC. From the Hudson Yards, to the numerous Co-Gen Plants, to 7 Train Connection. Local 3's largest contractor (with just under 2000 A Journey-persons) has just been awarded the $800 Million Dollar Flushing Complex as of last week.

In Local Union #3 we have almost 15,000 A Rate Journey-persons. In the entire local...all divisions combined we have approximately 30,000 members.

Our Apprenticeship, as I stated previously, has between 1,600 and 2,000 1st Year through 4th Year students.

I'm not sure why people are thinking it's "slow" in NYC though...the wait for a job is roughly a week to three weeks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.