Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Union Topics on ElectricianTalk.com

61K views 251 replies 36 participants last post by  Kevin 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I want to make a quick post and address a few issues that have popped up on Electrician Talk recently. Specifically on the topic of Unions.

This site is dedicated to professional electricians and ALL those who work in the electrical industry. That's the topic. We ARE NOT a Union site. We do have a sub forum topic on Unions because it is relevant to a lot of electricians and we feel it's an important topic to cover. We want you to be able to come here and talk about unions issues if that's something that effects you. But attacking people who aren't in Unions or having a US vs. THEM attitude will not be allowed on this site.

Please take a moment and read through our Posting Rules and think this through. Are you willing to follow those basic rules of respecting other people and exchanging information with both union and non union electricians? If so then we are glad your here. If not then this probably isn't the site for you.

One last note: I think we've proven by having a union topic that we are very open to union members being here so this is not an anti-union post. We just want everyone to respect each other.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Thanks for the post Nathan.

I agree that we should all respect each other. :thumbsup:

We are all just electricians trying to earn a living.

I'm a proud IBEW Local 58 member out of Detroit.

Anyone from Detroit knows that is quite a thing to say. Even those from other parts of the country know that the domestic auto industry is dying in Detroit.

I haven't worked in my own jurisdiction for quite some time. I'm a tramp by choice. I get treated better on the road than in my own local during these tough times.

We have over 1600 on the out of work list at this time. Mostly due to the state of the auto industry and the economy.

However the great thing about being an IBEW Electrician, is that even though there hasn't been much work in my own local for more years than I care to admit.

I can travel the country and just sign the book, wait my turn, and make the prevailing wage and benefit package wherever I go. At the same time earning benefits like I have worked for the same contractor for the 21 years I have been in the IBEW!

No interviews, resumes, phone calls, or BS!

Not to mention wherever I go in this great country of ours, many brothers in the same situation as myself are more than willing to help me out, and I help them out. Bottom line is that if your a brother your never alone.

That is just a small slice of the brotherhood.:thumbup:

:thumbsup:

#119 ·
Thanks for the post Nathan.

I agree that we should all respect each other. :thumbsup:

We are all just electricians trying to earn a living.

I'm a proud IBEW Local 58 member out of Detroit.

Anyone from Detroit knows that is quite a thing to say. Even those from other parts of the country know that the domestic auto industry is dying in Detroit.

I haven't worked in my own jurisdiction for quite some time. I'm a tramp by choice. I get treated better on the road than in my own local during these tough times.

We have over 1600 on the out of work list at this time. Mostly due to the state of the auto industry and the economy.

However the great thing about being an IBEW Electrician, is that even though there hasn't been much work in my own local for more years than I care to admit.

I can travel the country and just sign the book, wait my turn, and make the prevailing wage and benefit package wherever I go. At the same time earning benefits like I have worked for the same contractor for the 21 years I have been in the IBEW!

No interviews, resumes, phone calls, or BS!

Not to mention wherever I go in this great country of ours, many brothers in the same situation as myself are more than willing to help me out, and I help them out. Bottom line is that if your a brother your never alone.

That is just a small slice of the brotherhood.:thumbup:

:thumbsup:

Well said, sir!

#3 ·
Merry Christmas to All

Just wanted to wish a Merry Christmas to all the Electricians out there.

Although we may disagree on the subject of the IBEW, I wish you all the best in everything that life has to offer.

Best wishes to you and your families for a more prosperous New Year.

Also please remember that there is always more power in the group than the individual. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Just wanted to wish a Merry Christmas to all the Electricians out there.

Although we may disagree on the subject of the IBEW, I wish you all the best in everything that life has to offer.

Best wishes to you and your families for a more prosperous New Year.

Also please remember that there is always more power in the group than the individual. :thumbsup:
Merry Xmas, Duuuude !

party on !

#5 ·
I just joined this site.

I was brought up in the trade through the Union, and have worked with men who came up through the non-union shops....some were good hands, some weren't. I think you will find that ANYWHERE.

If I can help answer any questions, pls let me know. I would also love to learn some new tricks/tips from any man not afraid to carry tools!

Been away from the tools for 6.5 years now, as I went back in the service. Will retire in 6 years, and then would like to go back tot he tools. Of course I'll be close to 50, so it will be hard to hold a job, but I'll give it a shot.:)

~joe

#6 ·
Local 58 Bro.
I can't beiieve you NEVER, EVER don't BS SOMEBODY!!!
I have been known to do a bit of throwing the BULL at times, so I find it hard to believe you don't OCCASIONALLY!!!
Any contractor I have ever worked for knows I do bit of stretching the trooooooth!!!, but I get the work done.
Lucky

#7 ·
Union topic

Hey Guys,

I want to make a quick post and address a few issues that have popped up on Electrician Talk recently. Specifically on the topic of Unions.

This site is dedicated to professional electricians and ALL those who work in the electrical industry. That's the topic. We ARE NOT a Union site. We do have a sub forum topic on Unions because it is relevant to a lot of electricians and we feel it's an important topic to cover. We want you to be able to come here and talk about unions issues if that's something that effects you. But attacking people who aren't in Unions or having a US vs. THEM attitude will not be allowed on this site.

Please take a moment and read through our Posting Rules and think this through. Are you willing to follow those basic rules of respecting other people and exchanging information with both union and non union electricians? If so then we are glad your here. If not then this probably isn't the site for you.

One last note: I think we've proven by having a union topic that we are very open to union members being here so this is not an anti-union post. We just want everyone to respect each other.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
I agree with you ; If everyone who is working with a union is happy with that,and everyone who is not working with a union is happy with that,then the only other thing to discuss would be work related issues. There is no basis for mud slinging.

Riveter (UNION) and happy with that

#8 ·
Nathan I can understand your concerns on your site but upon reading some old post(side jobs) it is an all out attack on union members and a lack of posting ethics(some by your long time members) It is your site but like anything if there are 2 sets of rules for those or them, then you yourself might be the cause of some of the animosity. We are all in the electrical field and we should all work towards a goal of peace for all.

#17 · (Edited)
Union takes a bit of a bashing here but on the streets (based strictly on my experience) the unions have IN THE PAST beat down verbally open shop workers, picketed jobs and generally been a PIA.

Most of what (NOT ALL) of what is posted here that union members, call bashing often is the truth and the union members can handle it and seriously sound like cry babies.

#16 ·
I have no issue with that as long as it's civil and it stays real. I have non union friends, and we respect each others right to work, live, and co exist. I can openly discuss both the pros and cons of each.
However, just bashing "because" for no real reason is going to wear me thin very quickly.

#21 ·
Hey, if I get stink mail from Speedy Pete for trying to wake up sleeping about to become hungry and homeless and broke due to crashing the dollar,electricians, then you should just kill the non union/ union threads right away also..........imho, but if you don't want to we all know thats your perogative (sp?) also...

Ps, wake up, they are crashing the dollar on purpose....

#56 ·
Let me ask MY first question. In California, where I have paid taxes for longer than I can remember, one of the largest contracts in State history to build a new Oakland Bay bridge has been awarded by Cal Trans to a CHINESE construction company.
As a taxpayer, I am mad as hell. Now, the question/and be real.
If I throw up a picket to protest this, while American workers are unemployed at record rates, would you blame me? Would you even encourage me as a fellow American worker?

#67 ·
You know I'd sorta give the unions a whole lot more support if they were ever to abandon their unfathomable support of all things un-American. I mean it.
Tell you what, I will post all good things about Unions, right after you all elect Harry to become the next President of the IBEW. Harry would lead them all in the right direction by gumphry. You guys do that, elect Harry to office, and I'm all in.

#73 ·
Since 1999, CUSW has been challenging the idea of what a union can be.
Run by members.

Attachments

#87 ·
“The very real practical effect of a PLA is to make the project off limits to the non-union industry,” said Greg Beeman, president of the Massachusetts Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors, which represents nonunion contractors and suppliers that employ more than 24,000 workers. “The agreements drive up wages by 15 percent and the net effect is you have far fewer bidders, and therefore the project will cost more. PLAs have a chilling effect on the bidding process.”
i stand enlightened BBQ, thanx...

so why would any taxpayer wish to pay more for this process (if one can call it that?)

~CS~

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.