Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 240 of 252 Posts
Well...I can imagine a thousand responses MY Business Manager would say...and none of them good...lol

Actually he responded politely and accurately as far as I know. :)

He said that the Commercial guys get paid more per hour than the Residential guys.

I understood his response and why that would present a problem.
So I suggested that I could work for apprentice pay since I did not have
much residential training and that my main concern was to learn the trade.

Actually he responded politely and accurately as far as I know. :)

He said that the Commercial guys get paid more per hour than the Residential guys.

I understood his response and why that would present a problem.
So I suggested that I could work for apprentice pay since I did not have
much residential training and that my main concern was to learn the trade.
Wow...ok what did he say to that? Here in Local 3 it wouldn't be allowed as we have different divisions for that. But I'm curious as to what happened.

Wow...ok what did he say to that? Here in Local 3 it wouldn't be allowed as we have different divisions for that. But I'm curious as to what happened.
As I soon found out, it wasn't allowed here either;)

To me at least, such a rule as that seemed to be totally insane.
After all, don't the IBEW brothers claim to be the best at their trade?
Why would you not want one of your members to learn all that he can?
Doesn't it make the contractors happy when workers know what they are doing?

Depends B4T...if it's for a contractor...all's good. There really isn't animosity between 3 and 25. Most of the union contractors these days have licenses and agreements with both locals. The ones that do outer borough work I mean. There are guys from 25 at the hall all the time, same goes for us out there. When I went away to teach Code out at the National Training Institute I had some LU25 instructors in my class. Great bunch of guys, and they said the same thing. 3 and 25 get along well. Ha, I think it's because a lot of our guys LIVE in Long Island.

Reactions: B4T
As I soon found out, it wasn't allowed here either;)

To me at least, such a rule as that seemed to be totally insane.
After all, don't the IBEW brothers claim to be the best at their trade?
Why would you not want one of your members to learn all that he can?
Doesn't it make the contractors happy when workers know what they are doing?
I find it strange that 60 years of age, you want to pursue this. I am 58, and could give a rat's ass about residential anymore.:laughing:

Let me re-phrase this. In 4 more years, I don't care about work anymore. Ima done.

I find it strange that 60 years of age, you want to pursue this. I am 58, and could give a rat's ass about residential anymore.:laughing:

Let me re-phrase this. In 4 more years, I don't care about work anymore. Ima done.
I have two years on you and if my health holds out I hope to have another 15 years.

I havde two years on you and if my health holds out I hope to have another 15 years.
LOL Bri...are you going to be one of those owners who just won't go? ;)

One contractor I used to run work for who's a friend of mine just turned 80 freaking 7 this year. The shop threw him a party that was unreal and many ex employee's of his came. His nickname is the dinosaur lol. When I asked him when he's going to retire, he replied,"...when I find someone to carry on for me"

I said what about your son...

He goes...that's your problem Steve...you just don't listen...LOL

I raised a glass to the old bugger. God bless him!

Reactions: B4T

Give this some thought,,If you work till 70 years of age you will get top dollar from your SS payments and it will keep you young and in shape.

Please do not retire early it is not good for your health and mind stay in the game..:thumbup:.

lol....yes I definitely agree with you on that:thumbsup:. But I was actually only in my forties at the time that this story takes place.
Had I been younger, say late twenties, early thirties, I would have just said
"okay sir" and went back to my pipe bending. But being forty something
and plenty ripe for midlife crisis, I chose an alternate path. My thinking being...
" if I don't follow my dream (of doing the residential stuff), I'll regret it the rest of my life!"

I really like that quote that one of you post about the intelligent life being somewhere else.
:laughing:

221 - 240 of 252 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.