Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this last week during a walk through for a prospective client. I wanted to remove the cover and check it out but haven't got the job yet. Have any if you guys seen one before? The client claims the home was built in the '40s.

image-2491512011.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
The term for those are "despard" receptacles. They made switches as well. Never have seen a 4" round cover for them though. Switches and receptacles were mounted on a yoke and then the appropriate plate used to trim it off. You could stack them up to 3 high on a yoke.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The term for those are "despard" receptacles. They made switches as well. Never have seen a 4" round cover for them though. Switches and receptacles were mounted on a yoke and then the appropriate plate used to trim it off. You could stack them up to 3 high on a yoke.

Sample pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
480sparky said:
What's so unique about an ungrounded duplex?
The fact that is wasn't a standard duplex receptacle. The mounting screws for the cover were beside the receptacles instead of above and below. I had not seen a despard device before.

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
The fact that is wasn't a standard duplex receptacle. The mounting screws for the cover were beside the receptacles instead of above and below. I had not seen a despard device before.
I never saw despard devices mounted that way either and I did a lot of work in older homes.
It seems to be a lot of work to go through, for a garden variety duplex receptacle. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
They used them alot in panelized office spaces in an open warehouse. They were in the channels between panels with a snap over strip. They were fun.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Isn't there a song about these? Something about riding fences and coming to your senses?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
480 is ahead of the curve. He's already installing two wire tamper resistant despard receptacles.:eek::rolleyes::laughing:
When God said, "Let there be light!", he turned on a switch I wired. Fact is, I wired the factory God used to create the universe. :whistling2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts