Electrician Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been with the same company for 3.5 years. I am now a 5th term apprentice (have a bit over 8000 hours). We currently have no journeyman (other than the boss man) and I am the most senior employee. I often get sent out to service calls and sometimes even in charge of entire projects. I am wondering if it is common for senior apprentices to be completely unsupervised or if I am one of a few being sent to calls as what the clients think is a fully licensed electrician? Oh and more often than not I am supervising other apprentices/helpers. I know it's not legit according to the law...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes it is common. 5th year are discount jmen and some companies will milk that. Working with out supervision and running projects are diff stories though.

If I had a dollar from every helper, apprentice, that said they ran work I could I could retire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha yeah, It's been going this way for quite some time. I swear I have done 2/3 of my apprenticeship working under other apprentices.

·
AKA Luketrician
584 Posts
Think that is why the NJATCs will still keep taking applicants, if with people wasting away on the books...to feed the machine if you will. It is definitely a system that the shops use.

·
Senile Member
30,710 Posts
Here is an idea, instead of more or less complaining about it , take advantage of the incredible opportunity you have been given to study up like a Bob Badger JR. on your codes and wiring methods and rise to the challenge you are given. You will be a outstanding Jman when you get your hours if you do , and will end up being the go to guy on every project.

·
AKA Luketrician
584 Posts
Here is an idea, instead of more or less complaining about it , take advantage of the incredible opportunity you have been given to study up like a Bob Badger JR. on your codes and wiring methods and rise to the challenge you are given. You will be a outstanding Jman when you get your hours if you do , and will end up being the go to guy on every project.

Bob aka IWIRE? He is VERY knowledgeable.

I like that recommendation Macmikeman!!!

Mista Bojangles..are you listening??:)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm by no means a mechanic. I'm a junior mechanic. But around here you would be a solid junior mechanic.

Running entire projects is a different story, but having a less experienced helper underneath you is common. And to do some service calls is pretty common too.

I had my first actual helper a few months ago. He quit :(

But hey man, take it and run. Take all the experience you can and push yourself! :thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wasn't complaining. The experience is pretty sweet. Was just wondering if other shops operated that way. I've only worked for this EC for my apprenticeship thus far.

·
Banned
19 Posts
A lot of shops do this. But as a apprentice you should only do what your paid to do. Some shops give a apprentice sites to run and **** down their necks when there's a issue, and I feel if I'm not getting paid to run sites I shouldn't have the pressure of it. I mean to each their own, but if you feel they take advantage of you by giving you more responsibilities and less pay than that's something to bring up to your boss. Being in charge and having more responsibilities is fine and dandy, not getting the appreciation for it is just being cheap and they are taking advantage of you.

And don't listen to people who say you should appreciate the opportunity. They probably rip people off the same way themselves.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I definitely don't get paid enough to carry the stress of the big decisions. Oh well, I'll be licensed soon enough any how...

·
Banned
1,486 Posts
Haha yeah, It's been going this way for quite some time. I swear I have done 2/3 of my apprenticeship working under other apprentices.

Damm ! I was a Foreman over 23 men , early 3rd year , but I was not Top Dog . Hell , even if running Job Truck for the owner , you are still supervised .

Pete

1 - 15 of 15 Posts