Electrician Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Wannabe Apprentice
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know most people don't think much of schooling for learning the trade. But it is getting it out of the way so I don't have to do night classes when I do get hired.

Electricity Level One NCCER completed. I only got 93% overall grade, the exam through me off it was timed and I ran out of time. I didn't get to answer like the last 15 questions. I will be better prepared to answer the easy questions first and revisit calculations, I think dealing with the time for the test will help with the Journeyman's test down the road too.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,134 Posts
I know, I know most people don't think much of schooling for learning the trade. But it is getting it out of the way so I don't have to do night classes when I do get hired.

Electricity Level One NCCER completed. I only got 93% overall grade, the exam through me off it was timed and I ran out of time. I didn't get to answer like the last 15 questions. I will be better prepared to answer the easy questions first and revisit calculations, I think dealing with the time for the test will help with the Journeyman's test down the road too.
Yes you have the idea skip and move on.
I had to take a test for a job I applied for on indeed, it was basic math and I did not get it finished. Afterword I thought you idiot, you did it all by hand no one else would do that they would use a calculator.

·
Registered
442A -Industrial Electrician's ticket since '93
283 Posts
Time management is critical during a test. Can I assume your test is multiple choice? (As a Canadian, I'm not familiar with your schooling/testing process.) Let me share a tried and true practice with you. For such a test, ask two questions: are the questions weighted the same -one mark per question, and are there marks taken away for wrong answers? Most, but not all tests, are scored this way. If your test IS like this, do some mental math. Say 100 questions - at one mark apiece - in 3 hours.That's about two minutes/question. When you start the test, LEAVE YOUR PENCIL DOWN. Read through the test first. You'll find questions you know, some you know how to figure out, and probably a few that make you say WTF? Now, pick up your pencil and do all the ones you know. Then the ones you know how to figure out and last the hard ones. And have a watch/clock to let you know when your down to the last 5-10 minutes. Remember, if no penalty for wrong answers, ANSWER EVERYTHING! Most multiple choice test give you four answers. A flat out guess of an answer has a 1 in 4 chance of being right; no answer is always wrong........Besides you got a 93 at entry level one. Better to think about 93% good than 7% bad.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,134 Posts
are there marks taken away for wrong answers? Most, but not all tests, are scored this way.
When I wrote tests they were graded wrong answers got points off, blank did not. The reason I did this is there should not be any guessing in electric. But to be fair I hinted to this in my introduction before I tested them, also if you did not answer them and got the few you answered right you could pass.

·
Registered
Wannabe Apprentice
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I will take the advice. I also find trick questions frustrating. Where they change one word or word it so it doesn't quite match the book. There's plenty to learn and be tested on without having to trick students. LoL. Man I miss the good ole days of school where when in doubt answer C on multiple choice was a 50+ chance of getting it right. LoL.

I should mention it's open book, online test. Maybe that why they throw some trickery in it.

·
Registered
31,637 Posts
I am not a fan of paying for the schooling BUT you will never damage your brain with any education.

·
Super Moderator
6,952 Posts
Education - you pay for it once and use it for a lifetime!

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,119 Posts
I should mention it's open book, online test. Maybe that why they throw some trickery in it.

Hey pay someone $200 to sit with you and help with the test....hahahaha. Seriously, I can't believe that unless there is a zoom type setup where they monitor you.

·
Registered
Electrical Apprentice
86 Posts

I told my coworker , the book is easy, the labor is more hard. Those jackhammer don't play around. I'm almost done with level 2 in 2 weeks. I was doing a module on relay and contacts. It got me interested to buying some and going home to try some experiment.

·
Registered
Electrical Apprentice
86 Posts
I will take the advice. I also find trick questions frustrating. Where they change one word or word it so it doesn't quite match the book. There's plenty to learn and be tested on without having to trick students. LoL. Man I miss the good ole days of school where when in doubt answer C on multiple choice was a 50+ chance of getting it right. LoL.

Open book, WTH, how you do that? I get my keys and phone lock up in a locker, no kidding. Then I get monitor with 8 cameras.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
When I wrote tests they were graded wrong answers got points off, blank did not. The reason I did this is there should not be any guessing in electric. But to be fair I hinted to this in my introduction before I tested them, also if you did not answer them and got the few you answered right you could pass.
I don't think there should be surprises on a test. Either in the material or the means of grading.
The point of a test is to assess someone's knowledge on a subject not to bolster the person who developed the test's ego.
If you want to punish wrong answers that's fine but you should be clear about that up front.

·
Registered
Wannabe Apprentice
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Since it's online, they letting me knock out 2 years of apprenticeship hours in one year. What would take a year going once a week, I knock out in a few months by working on my class nearly every day. Thus, hoping to have all 4 years of class hours done in 2 years time.
If your state accepts the accreditation of it you could do it too.

Of course I still need 2000 hours a year OJT. This has nothing to do with that requirement. @Kwchrisv

·
Registered
Electrical Apprentice
86 Posts
Since it's online, they letting me knock out 2 years of apprenticeship hours in one year. What would take a year going once a week, I knock out in a few months by working on my class nearly every day. Thus, hoping to have all 4 years of class hours done in 2 years time.
If your state accepts the accreditation of it you could do it too.

Of course I still need 2000 hours a year OJT. This has nothing to do with that requirement. @Kwchrisv
[/QUOTE

Interesting, I'm ahead in my class . I rather do it at home if I can. I can knock out 2 years in 1 , that would be sweet. I don't think I can do it here though. They want to see performance test also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts